The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart

Reviewed by Kat

When I first picked up this book I was unsure of what to expect. Would it be a moaning re-hash of popular opinions of Spain? Or was it going to be a lesson in Spanish immersion but with nothing that I could really relate to?

Not so!

Chris Stewart (formerly of the band Genesis), gave up his life of sheep shearing in Sussex, England to try a life of Spanish farming in Las Alpujarras, a region just south of Granada. In 'Driving Over Lemons' he has written his version of what happened. Events include the act of buying a dilapidated farm house, persuading his wife that it was a good idea, as well as coping with irate Spanish farmers and sheep.

The book begins with Chris house hunting with an estate, continues into a mixture of adventure and episodes with a mix of Spanish farmers and shepherds, finally ending in a 'to be continued' way with night time swimming in the river.

This book is a funny, accurate account of one man's experiences in Spain. It provides clear imagery, causes laughter, surprise, concern, and sadness at every corner. Each page contains something that gives the reader insight, and captivates from beginning to end. I found I could pick it up and put it down at will, but once I had started reading a chapter I HAD to finish that one before anything else could take my real attention. I would recommend this book to anyone who has reason to be interested in Spain, moving country, or even just the personal lives of people.

There is a warning however. It is already known that one researcher has lost a grandmother to this book. Having read it, she took off and decided to try her hand at olive farming in Spain. Last we heard she was doing fine.

The Bookworm Club Review
Archive

11.09.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1172053

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more