A Conversation for How to become President of the United Kingdom (UG)

Naming your new realm

Post 1

HonestIago

One of your first actions as President would be tricky, renaming our country, obviously United Kingdom is gone and Great Britain excludes the Northern Irish so any suggestions. If us Brits are so reluctant to changing our currency, I can't see disposing of a centuries-old name going down well. Copying Cromwell and using the Commonwealth is an idea, except the Commonwealth now represents the monarchy keeping ties with former colonies (apart from Mozambique and Cameroon)


Naming your new realm

Post 2

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Yes, it's obviously tricky to even be sure of the extent of one's realm when one says "to become President of the United Kingdom ... [you] need not be British. After all the UK has been ruled ... by ... Scottish ... interlopers."

Now call me picky, but (nationalists excluded) doesn't British include Scottish as a subset? (Whatever it is to be 'British' anyway!) And doesn't 'UK national' include 'British'? (although I agree, the definitions of 'Britain' and 'British' are usually vague. So a Northern Irish person could rule without necessarily counting themselves 'British' yet still be a 'UK National'. And a ruling Scot is surely no more an interloper than a ruling Welshman/woman.

But I don't want to start a Scottish Nationalist debate here, just obsessing about definitions and details. smiley - biggrin

'picky' rooftiler


Naming your new realm

Post 3

HonestIago

I think the standard way of subdividing is to start at the UK, which includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Then you go to (Great) Britain which is the largest island and consists of England, Wales and Scotland and then you go down to individual 'nationalities' How about Albion?


Naming your new realm

Post 4

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

People in West Bromwich would probably vote for that.


Naming your new realm

Post 5

HonestIago

Yeah but probably no-one else, it sounds kinda stupid. If our country was called Albion what would our nationality be? Albions? Albionese?


Naming your new realm

Post 6

Judge Mental

You are ignoring the fantastic possibility that we could become a nation of Albinos...

Pink-eyed Judge


Naming your new realm

Post 7

HonestIago

So we'd have to dye our hair blond. Perish the thought!


Naming your new realm

Post 8

DOUG

I think that you would have to be carefull with albion
As Alba is the old name for Scotland.


Naming your new realm

Post 9

HonestIago

I didn't know that, we could always copy Prince and use 'The Republic formerly known as the UK'


Naming your new realm

Post 10

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Go into Word. Type Albion. Call up the Thesaurus and it has no suggestions of synonyms but the first alternative words on the list are...

















"a laugh"
We must be having one!


Key: Complain about this post