A Conversation for The Forum

The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9841

anhaga

sorry, fluffy, smiley - simpost

I do try really hard to *not* be anti-American around here: I remember regularly trying to tone others down on that awful 'what's wrong with Americans' thread over the years.

I didn't mean to cause a problem.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9842

Alfster



No...anti-nutbar we aren't bothered what country people are born in. If they start trying to pray to an invisible friend to affect health care legislation then we'll have a go at them.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9843

Taff Agent of kaos


just had a stonking idea for a film

a biblical epic in all its glory, worth cloneing charlton heston for

then when it comes out on DVD the directors commentry is from the atheist point of view, pointing out all the errors, assumtions, and godly noncense

imagine it all the godly buy it because its an epic then proceed to burn it en mass because its atheist propagandasmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9844

Taff Agent of kaos


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8425420.stm

thou shalt not steal, unless its from a large multinational

way to go vicar????

shoplifting is less sinful than prostitution,

if thats the case why is thou shalt not steal one of the 10 commandments, yet thou shalt not sell your ass on a street corner, is not in the top 10

good moral compass, guided by godsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9845

anhaga

In all fairness, I suspect that prostitution might be covered by the 'thou shalt not covet your neighbor's ass that she's trying to sell in the street' bit, and maybe even by the 'thou shalt not commit adultery' passage. These are problematic, of course, as one comes before the stealing bit and one comes after.



smiley - winkeye


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9846

Taff Agent of kaos


vicar says if you are desperate its ok to steal

i have not had my leg over for such a long time fr. is it ok to covet my neighbous wifes ass and indulge in a little adultery???
i realy am desperatesmiley - erm

smiley - winkeye

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9847

anhaga

If stealing is okay, then coveting her ass is surely fine as well.


Just don't commit adultery.




Yet.


smiley - winkeye


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9848

Taff Agent of kaos


vicar, i have never killed anyone and i am realy desperate and there is this atheist family down the road and there are loads of them and ..............???

where does it stop???

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9849

anhaga

a humanist ethic?smiley - erm


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9850

Taff Agent of kaos


humanist???

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9851

anhaga

hominidist?


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9852

Taff Agent of kaos

i am lost

the closest i have come to philosophy is, its a word in the dictionary i ownsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9853

Effers;England.

Maybe someone should sit this vicar down and explain to him that we live in a democracy, not a theocracy, or what he might like, a one man dictatorship. There's all kinds of things I don't agree with, but I have to obey the Law because that's the way we organise our society.

Why is the opinion of one particular kook even being reported? So he suggests to his congregation that it's okay to break the law in certain circumstances. I'm sure up and down the land there are all kinds of religios and politios suggesting that it is okay to break a particular law they happen to disagree with. Well tough. We live in a democracy where everyone, whatever their religion, or not, or political view gets the chance to vote for representatives that make Laws. For good or ill that's the system our society chooses to live with. Yes he's entitled to his view, but all it does is make him look pretty stupid if he thinks anyone is going to get let off by the law because of his own personal opinion. If he wants things to change, let him form a party and stand for parliament, or lobby his MP, or organise demonstrations.

But just giving a sermon means nothing. And if he wants to live in a theocracy, he can always go and live in Iran.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9854

Runescribe

"Maybe someone should sit this vicar down and explain to him that we live in a democracy, not a theocracy, or what he might like, a one man dictatorship."

Father Tim is my priest. I can assure you that he does not desire to live in a theoracy and desires to rule even less. Your accusations are unfounded and grossly unfair.

What he wants is for his congregants, many of whom are cripplingly poor, not to choose between starving and freezing this winter.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9855

Alfster

Yes, the bloke also isn't bothered about criminal damage either:

"Father Jones made the news in May 2008 when he made a protest about Playboy branded stationery being aimed at children. He went into a local stationers and threw the Playboy merchandise on the floor."

Seems to think he is above the law.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9856

Runescribe

How do you get from "is willing to break the law for a good cause" to "is a megalomaniac who would like to be sole ruler of the country"?


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9857

Alfster

Or have both rolled into ne in the form of Tony Bliar.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9858

Runescribe

That doesn't answer my question.

Tim tells his congregants that it is better to steal than starve.

Flying Ants accuses him of megalomania and desire to live in a theocracy, along with the belief that his advice will somehow trump the courts.

You fail to disagree with any of these unfounded accusations, instead making snide comparisons with Tonay Blair.

Why?


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9859

Effers;England.


Hi Runescribe. I've not had the pleasure of debate with you before. The thing is I find if discussion and debate is to be meaningful it helps to quote back precisely what is written, and give clear reasons why one may agree or disagree with what is *actually* written in a post, rather than trying to sum it up and possibly misrepresent things.

I hope you agree because there is the danger of things becomming utterly tedious and a total waste of time.


The moral majority strikes again...

Post 9860

Runescribe

Again, you are not answering the question.

However, I recommened that you read the full transcript of the sermon, found here: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4813866.Full_transcript_of_the_sermon_given_by_Father_Tim_Jones/ and would be interested in your more informed opinion. The headlines have been somewhat imprecise.


Key: Complain about this post