A Conversation for The Great Blackout of 2003

Internet effects

Post 1

Hikaru Poet

I live in the North Central region of the U.S.. My area did NOT have a blackout. However, for my work I use the web site for the city I live in, in particular to look up records of permits for repairs and improvements by address. This portion of the city's data is on a server/computer in Canada (apparently under contract). I had wondered where in Canada, but when the data was inaccessible or an extended time during the blackout period, I concluded that server must be in eastern Canada. It was a minor inconvenience in my ability to complete my work-related tasks, but it shows how connected we really are.


Internet effects

Post 2

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

Huge chunks of the Internet disappeared because a lot of top-level routers disappeared. My ISP has several redundant links, but all of these links passed through places that were slow to get their power back.

smiley - teasmiley - towel


Internet effects

Post 3

quizzical

In contrast, my ISP suddenly became extremely reliable (got connected immediately, close to the maximum dial-up speed, and no dropped connections). It's as if the blackout gave the ISP a good kick in the pants and straightened it out, because it was pretty unreliable before and it's been performing like a champ lately.

And the volume of spam went way down during the blackout. 'It's an ill wind...' and all that. smiley - smiley


Internet effects

Post 4

Demon Drawer

There were surprising gaps in site links all over the palce during the blackout. It was intriging finding out just where some servers are located and where some others are not. Made some tasks at work here in the UK actually difficult. Part of being a small cog in a big multinational machine I suppose.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more