A Conversation for Cartoon Corner

Since

Post 1

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

You have posted on everyone elses... I thought I'd pop round and say hi.

Need to do c-cartoon... drag myself away from life... Arh!

-- DoctorMO --


Since

Post 2

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Oh, sorry, just found this.

Cartooning IS life!

At least to some of us.


Since

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Watched 'Real World' again last week.

Funny how when it came out, I liked it, but I dissed it for being so much like Roger Rabbit. I may have used the word rip-off. Silly me.

It is so much better tha RR is some respects and lack-of-respects. In the latter I find it on the whole, more my cuppa than Roger. The chick is much more attractive too.

I can't quite explain what I see in your cartoons. But they have a therapeutic effect on me as well. Let me encourage you to pursue them, your 'style' is evolving. I see symmetry and harmony and a cornucopia of insinuated detail. I like them.

peace
jwf


Since

Post 4

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

What you see is the results of a fellow who hasn't yet learned how to use his Paint program to it's full potential.
What you also see is a fellow who is sending his first draft off to Shazz.
I have a stack of rejection letters for more polished efforts, including one attempt at syndication years ago with a strip.
You have to submit six weeks worth of dailies to the syndicate.
It took four months to create them.

I think it is the "off the top of my head" loopiness that attracts you, along with the basic inability to draw in any conventional manner when I'm doodling.


Since

Post 5

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>>.. it is the "off the top of my head" loopiness that attracts you..<<

Always has! smiley - cheers

As for your abilities, I see perseverance in the face of new technologies, and I see 'master strokes' with crude tools. Not just beginners luck, I had some of that myself when I played with a paint program for a while.

Yes, in yours I see a quality of dedication that strives to overcome the techno-limits and points toward a resolution of elegance and simplicity reminiscent of Picasso's most 'child-like' strokes.

To reach that level requires much study and practise and dedication. I can sometimes see evidence of choices and compromises you have had to make. And I applaud you and encourage you to carry on until your renderings become so simple, so boldly innocent, so universally true, so elegantly meaningful or beautiful that everyone else will have to appreciate them too. Especially those of us who gave up on the aliasing of crude paint programs and denied the world our genius, at least until such time as a more efficient means of taking what is in our brains and putting it down on paper is made available.

peace
jwf


Since

Post 6

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I thought we all did that, I can't draw but I get lucky and sometimes it works.

-- DoctorMO --


Since

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Yeah, and you have more puhphisticated software...


Since

Post 8

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Photoshop and Corel Draw?

-- DoctorMO --


Since

Post 9

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

compared to Windrows 98 Paint?


Since

Post 10

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

www.gimp.org

now stop making excuses and get to work smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


Key: Complain about this post