A Conversation for National League Baseball Teams of America

Marlins

Post 1

Jimi X

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
'On June 10 1997, the Marlins won their first post season appearance. By October 14, the Marlins won a pennant and advanced to the World Series. They won the 1997 World Series against the Atlanta Braves, four games to two'

They obviously didn't win a postseason game in early June. And being an NL team, they didn't win the Series against the Braves. In fact, it was the Indians who they beat (in extra innings?).

========
They followed the conventional wisdom in building a team, drafting mainly young prospects though when the Rockies made it to the playoffs ahead of them, they began trading prospects for veterans and making some big free agent signings like Gary Sheffield.

It was this re-vamped squad that won the series and then the next year the team was broken up because it was losing money - the best example ever of 'buying a championship' to date.

smiley - 2cents
- X


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more