A Conversation for h2g2 Feature Ideas

Bookmarks workaround

Post 1

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I see there is already a suggestion about bookmarks.

Meantime...the solution that some people seem to have come up with is to leave a smiley - book in the thread.

A Help page suggesting that would be 'a good thing'. When I searched on 'Bookmarks' I couldn't find anything (and it took me ages to twig what the more expert users were doing)

Ta!

While I'm here....howsabouts a display of the AXXXXXX entry number somewhere on an entry, and the UXXXXXX on personal spaces? This would make it slighly easier for folk to cut and paste them into other entries. (Again, it took me a while to twig that these are easily found in URLs)


Bookmarks workaround

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"How about unhiding the 'ugly' addressbar of your browser?
It shows perfectly clear the A~ and the U~numbers ready for copy and paste smiley - smiley, even the additional skin is available.

The ## new posts link in the conversations popup jumps to the page with the last read posting. smiley - run

smiley - ok, Admitted, I never have more then ten unread threads smiley - online2long."


Bookmarks workaround

Post 3

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Yes...my address bar is already unhidden and thus I eventually twigged that the As and Us are in the URL. General usability guidance: 'Provide multiple ways of doing things'.

The ## new posts link....That's only in the page that generated the conversation, isn't it? But what if a) I plunge straight into a conv. b) I want to mark the whole conv., not every conv. in, say, 'Ask h2g2'

And the Conversations Popup is what? And where?

Lots of buried features, methinks.


Bookmarks workaround

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit looking brunel
"For my skin the Anumber (as a number not a link) is mentioned in the top region, next to the 'status' (normal/ Edited/ pending/ Help).

As is the U number on the Personal Space below the 'NickName' of respective researcher.

The conversations popup is an extension of the 'My Conversations' page, you find the link in the left hand list.

< <./>MP803114</.> > gives the 'normal page'
< <./>MP803114?s_type=pop&s_target=conversation</.> > gives the popup, refreshing every 120 seconds
However I promote:
< <./>MP803114?s_type=pop&s_target=conversation&show=10</.> > this reduces the server (and browser) load, and if you try to follow a conversation it _is_ sufficient. You can always use the older postings to see what you have missed. One other hidden feature is the asterisk, there is an asterisk in the 'Title' if you have any new post. smiley - biggrin

"


Bookmarks workaround

Post 5

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

So....my comments apply only to Brunel?


Bookmarks workaround

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - titsmiley - huh
"I guess they are more or less implemented in brunel. And as soon as something is possible it is not a feature with much chance of getting implemented.

You will find out that Classic Goo is the oldest skin, it has the least features, then we have Alabaster, Plain and Brunel.

Currently the Collective, Getwriting and iCan have got some new features smiley - winkeye. But not unlike the skins, it takes a while using them before you notice anything.

< <./>/dna/collective/T507838</.> > (This is impossible!)"


Key: Complain about this post