A Conversation for How To Understand Statistics

A few suggestions/corrections

Post 1

FordsTowel

A great idea for an entry, and an admirable job of putting it together.

A couple of points you may want to consider about the article:

"There are many books to teach you statistics, but they are big and heavy maths books, which cost a lot of money, and which may require a pre-requisite degree"

The phrase "you may require a degree" implies that it is pre-requisite; this makes the modifier pre-requisite redundant.
------------------------------------------
"If fact there is, written by Deborah Rumsey. "

Just a misspelling, should be "In fact there is, ..."
------------------------------------------
"This is not the same thing as saying that all women are better drivers than men, ..."

You may want to expand this to "...drivers than all men, ..."

" ... although many people, and some insurance company advertisements, seem to think that that is exactly what it means."

If you are uncomfortable with the "that that", try "that this is exactly what it means."
------------------------------------------
The bit might mention that it is always necessary to compare like to like. To make real sense, the statistical analysis sould include miles driven, or roads v highways, etc.
------------------------------------------
"In other words: the children who attended pre-school were normal (for want of a better word). the ones who stayed home with their mother were not."

It may actually mean that those who went to pre-school were used to exhibiting the behavior unsupervised, and those who stayed home weren't used to getting away with such behavior. "Normal behavior" is not necessarily "desired behavior", and this is what parents want; not natural aggressiveness, no matter how "natural".
------------------------------------------
"The initial study was funded by a mother support group. They used the statistics to promote their own (pre-determined) agenda. This illustrates rule one of statisitcs: Always ask; who's paying for this study?"
Absolutely one of the most crucial points, Thank You!
------------------------------------------
"47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot" - Steven Wright .
I just love this. Though he wasn't the first to make the joke, no one has done it better.
------------------------------------------
"Be wary of comparisons. Ie, two things happening at the same time does not mean that one caused the other. this is used a lot by politiciians wanting to show their new policy is working."

Simple misspelling of politicians.

I wish you luck on getting this excellent piece accepted for the guide. smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post

A few suggestions/corrections

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more