The Bookworm Club Review

1 Conversation

Bookworm by Amy the <br/>
<br/>
Ant

This is the first review from The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. All reviews are taken from opinions published in the Club's threads. As such, some interesting comments appear on all sorts of topics. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

Angela's Ashes and 'Tis, Frank McCourt

Reviewed by Z

It's hard to write critical review of autobiographies because how can you criticise someone's life? Especially someone who's life's been as difficult as Frank McCourts has been. At the end of the books you have an overriding need to pat him on the back and say "Well done mate!"

The basic plot is that the McCourt family are a poor family of Irish Emigrants in New York. When they fall on hard times they are persuaded to move back to Ireland, where things are much worse.

His father is an alcoholic, who leaves to make money in England when Frank is ten. However the money never makes it back to Ireland and his mother is reduced to begging. Because of the lack of money Frank is unable to go to secondary school in Ireland. He manages to raise the money for a crossing to New York. Where he is drafted into the Army, as a result of his service, he is allowed to attend college and becomes a teacher.

I found this to be a classic feel good book. I closed the final book happy that he had achieved so much with such a poor start in life. It's a very easy read and very well written. He captures the atmosphere of Limerick and New York excellently without too much description.

However..

The basic message of the books is that America is the country that offers golden opportunities to anyone who steps of the boat and Ireland is some sort of backward third world muddy dump. As this has been the experience of the author he has every right to put it across.

You can't help thinking that the same thing wouldn't happen these
days. The US is hardly welcoming to immigrants anymore, even if they did get in, the University system seems to be one of the most elitist there is.

I know that people say that the system in Britain in elitist, but the fact is that it is possible to go to university without your parents supporting you at all. It's difficult but it is possible. I don't think it is in the US anymore. There is no mention of that, or of the fact that Ireland has improved since.

Little Mischief

I've read Angela's Ashes but not 'Tis. At first I was going to read 'Tis, then changed my mind when I heard it wasn't as good as the first and I had loads of other things to read. I recall enjoying Angela's Ashes though.

As for the university situation, it is still possible in America to put yourself through schooling without family support. There are thousands of scholarships available nationwide, both public and private. The government still makes grants to students that can show financial need. Many employers offer tuition assistance to their employees, especially if the field of study coincides with their business. Some schools have work programs allowing students to work off part of their tuition. And when all else fails student loans are fairly easy to get.

All of this combined may not get you into Harvard without parental assistance, but it is entirely possible to attend community, state, and some private schools on your own.

Pinwheel Pearl

I read Angela's Ashes on the basis that I'd heard so much about it. While I wouldn't say I enjoyed it I am glad I read it, it is one of those books that puts your own life in perspective. Like Z, I read 'Tis to know the full story and found the book to be extremely interesting. To read about a boy from the slums reading 'Crime and Punishment' was remarkable, and a lesson to us all to strive to better ourselves, not to mention the importance of education.

Less poignant books with a similar theme are those by Billy Hopkins. They are partly fictionalized but still well worth reading. I think there are about 3 books in all.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

15.05.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1050599

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more