A Conversation for Renzo Piano - Architect

Peer Review: A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 1

pointbeing

Entry: Renzo Piano - Architect - A1047791
Author: pointbeing - U225923

My second ever entry so be nice! - an overview of the life and work of architect, genius and all-round top bloke Renzo Piano.

Piano's reputation is enormous around the world, and his name will be permanently on British lips if the London Bridge Tower is given the go-ahead...it's hard to do justice in a matter of paragraphs but I hope I've had a fair crack at it smiley - smiley

feedback appreciated as always!


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 2

Number Six

It's good. smiley - ok

I'd like to see a little more detail about the buildings that have made his reputation, maybe a couple of links to an external site or something (a quick Google revealed the official Pompidou Centre website to be http://www.cnac-gp.fr/, but I don't know if there's anything there).

Could be worth including the correct Italian pronounciation of his name, which is Rent-zo Pee-ar-no (I have an Italian girlfriend, so you sort of pick these things up!), as most people will think of him in their heads as sounding like the musical instrument.

Cheers,
Number Six


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 3

pointbeing

I'm a little worried about it getting over-lengthy, but I think you're right and it would be justified to add a touch more detail concerning the buildings themselves...but so many to choose from smiley - smiley


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 4

pointbeing

Well, it took me a couple of days, but I've expanded the section about some of the buildings/projects, which I think does add value to the piece, so thanks for the suggestion smiley - smiley. I've also added a couple more linkys and tied up one or two loose ends...let me know what you think!


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 5

Number Six

Like it smiley - ok Any thoughts on the pronounciation thing, maybe just in a footnote?

The only couple of suggestions I have are that in the bit where you're talking about the London Bridge Tower, I'd suggest shifting the 'however', to go from "Renzo Piano is no ordinary architect however, and the London Bridge Tower would be no ordinary office block."
to
"Renzo Piano, however, is no ordinary architect, and the London Bridge Tower would be no ordinary office block."
but that's just my smiley - 2cents as an idea that might improve the flow a little, but don't feel bound to take it as gospel.

I would challenge Piano's statement (if I'm right in concluding you're quoting him indirectly here) that the Tower would provide "a focus for the regeneration of Southwark, one of central London's shabbiest neighbourhoods" though - I'd say that Tate Modern has already proved to be the focus for the regeneration of Southwark - along with the rejuvenated Borough Market, Vinopolis, the Globe Theatre and the new GLA Building - and the whole Bankside area seems quite up-and-coming and trendy now (my mates who used to live there were priced out of the rental market, and had to move...). Some parts of Southwark are certainly a bit shabby still, but I'd say on the whole that parts of the West End feel a lot worse to be in (Blimey, I never thought I'd find myself standing up for South London!). I can sort of see where Renzo's coming from on this one, but I think the Tower would be something more like a new focus for the continued regeneration of Southwark, which until the end of the 20th Century was one central London's shabbiest neighbourhoods.
(I worked there between 1998 and 2000, and the area was 'orrible when I started, and it was just getting nice and interesting when I concluded I couldn't stick the job any more, and left)

Finally, I like your conclusion a lot, but think that the last paragraph veers a little too close to personal opinion for the Edited Guide (although I do agree with what yo're saying!). How about making it a little more general, perhaps changing from "Renzo Piano is unquestionably one of the very finest and most highly regarded architects in the world..." to something like "Renzo Piano is unquestionably regarded as one of the very finest architects in the world..."?

Great stuff though smiley - cheers I reckon we're nearly there!

Cheers,
Number Six

smiley - mod


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 6

pointbeing


seems like i have my own personal stalker smiley - winkeye

So, more valuable food-for-thought than I could have hoped for!

I was ignoring the pronunciation thing, hoping it would go away...hoping no-one would notice I've been pronouncing it wrong for months...but now a footnote seems the honourable thing to do smiley - biggrin

as for the whole southwark thing - I think i'll dig out the original quote and use that - I think it makes more sense to hear about Sig. Piano's aspirations rather than risking getting into personal opinions about the whole area...also once we get talking about Tate Modern i start to feel claustrophobic...like im stood in a queue in a dark, dank enclosed space...

*fires up EditPlus and gets back to work*


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 7

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

Great stuff. smiley - smiley A fine, illuminating entry.

I'm with Number Six on changing the tone of the last paragraph, though.

I wondered, while reading, about 'balance'. The entry is all for the positive aspects of Piano's work - but I imagine it must also have its critics. The Pompidou center, for example, is hardly free from controversy.

Whether the other side of the coin really bears illuminating here, though, is something I'm not sure about. The entry already works brilliantly at introducing Piano to someone (i.e. me) who had previously never heard of him. There is plenty of room between the lines here for readers to draw their own conclusions. The structure and the length seem just about right too. So, I personally reckon it stands up as a fine entry just as it is - barring that one little line at the end which No. 6 has already mentioned.


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 8

pointbeing

you wonderful lovely people you smiley - smiley

I hope I've incorporated these points now, seeing as they were all good points smiley - cheers

You're right to say there's a - to say the least - approving tone concerning his work there (which happens to be consistent with my own opinions), but you'll struggle to come across any real criticisms of his work anywhere, I don't think it would be fruitful to try to be the first, though I have added the point that Pompidou was/still is controversial. And some other bits and bobs.

cheers to all, once again smiley - smiley
pb


A1047791 - Renzo Piano - Architect

Post 9

Number Six

Looking good. I never knew it was him that had done Bari's ground - that's the one that looks like a UFO!

smiley - mod


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

Number Six

All part of the service smiley - cheers

smiley - mod


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

pointbeing


smiley - ta


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Renzo Piano - Architect

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more