A Conversation for The Iraq Conflict Discussion Forum

Bush versus Democracy

Post 1461

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


You'll forgive me if post 1458, from Starbirth, smacked of the attitude that suggested, clearly, opposition to the war on Iraq was somehow connected to the Bali bombing.

Islamic militants maty well have been involved in the bombing, but they were clearly targeting Australians, and appear to have succeded as Austarlia is effectively evacuating all their nationals from Indonesia and points surrounding.

smiley - shark


Opinions on war with Iraq

Post 1462

Mister Matty

"I think starting war with Iraq isn't a very good idea at all. First of all, there are other alternatives than war and war is a strain on a country economy and supplies."

I'm slowly coming round to thinking that war might not be the only method of removing Saddam. I think we should put our efforts into a internal coup in Iraq before any sort of war. That would save money and, more importantly, lives (on both sides). I'm sure the Iraqi elite realises Saddam is a menace to the country's future as well as present. At the end of the day, he is only one man. You put a bullet in his head and he dies.

"Second of all it's showing that America is a bully since Iraq hasn't really attacked the US or declared war on the US."

A lot of debate seems to be erring on the side of "Iraq is OK really". The Iraqi regime is murderous and cruel and that stays constant whether it's Kuwait hurling vitriol at them or America.

"Third during the Reagan/Sr. Bush administration, the US actually secretley sent war supplies to Iraq during the Iraq/Iran war."

So does that mean they have to permanently stay friends with Iraq? The great powers have always, always, supplied weapons and money to their future enemies for short-term reasons. Think the German backing of the bolsheviks in World War I. Also, there was nothing "secret" about the arming of Iraq. It was very out-in-the-open, as far as I know. We did it too, as did the French probably. All of us ended up enemies with Iraq.

"Fourth it's an excuse to get re-elected and George W. Bush (I think) wants to finish what his dad started."

I wish Bush would "finish what his Dad started". Bush Sr's betrayal of Iraq in 1991 is now the stuff of infamy.


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1463

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


You'll forgive me if post 1458, from Starbirth, smacked of the attitude that suggested, clearly, opposition to the war on Iraq was somehow connected to the Bali bombing.

Whereas what the bombing proves beyond any doubt is that the 'War on Terrorism (unless it's US sponsored) is a farce.

I think it was that well known political philosopher, George Lucas who penned the line;

'The more you tighten your grip...the more...will slip through your fingers.'

An invasion of iraq wil NOT solve the terrorisdt problem, but only make it worse.

smiley - shark


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1464

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


You'll forgive me if post 1458, from Starbirth, smacked of the attitude that suggested, clearly, opposition to the war on Iraq was somehow connected to the Bali bombing.

Whereas what the bombing proves beyond any doubt is that the 'War on Terrorism (unless it's US sponsored)' is a farce.

I think it was that well known political philosopher, George Lucas who penned the line;

'The more you tighten your grip...the more...will slip through your fingers.'

An invasion of iraq wil NOT solve the terrorisdt problem, but only make it worse.

smiley - shark


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1465

starbirth

You are right it was islamic fundamentalist. As with the french ship attack last week and the marine shot.


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1466

Mister Matty

"As with the french ship attack last week and the marine shot."

I don't think I heard anything about either of these. Could someone enlighten me?


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1467

Rocket Rod

Attacking Aussies just makes them harder, the Islamic Jihad just shot themselves in the foot, if they think we will bow down to terrorism.
smiley - rocketRod
lets use rule .303


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1468

Rocket Rod

So who will be the first Idiotarian to say it was our fault smiley - grr


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1469

starbirth

A US marine was shot and killed another wounded during training exercices in kuwait when two men drove up in a truck and fired on them. The two killers were then shot and killed. they were kuwait citizens and islamic fundamentalist.

A french cargo ship was bombed in simular fashion as the cole was in yemen. This was last week.

The bombs that went off in bali have been linked to islamic terrorist out of 180 dead only 2 americans many were aussies, New zealanders and europeans.

Rocket my prays are with your people for their loss.




Bush versus Democracy

Post 1470

starbirth

A US marine was shot and killed another wounded during training exercices in kuwait when two men drove up in a truck and fired on them. The two killers were then shot and killed. they were kuwait citizens and islamic fundamentalist.

A french cargo ship was bombed in simular fashion as the cole was in yemen. This was last week.

The bombs that went off in bali have been linked to islamic terrorist out of 180 dead only 2 americans many were aussies, New zealanders and europeans.

Rocket my prays are with your people for their loss.




Bush versus Democracy

Post 1471

Crescent

Just a question. How should a minority, in a developing country, try and influence the affairs of the developed world?
BCNU - Crescent


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1472

Rocket Rod

220 still missing


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1473

Empty Sky (Remember me fondly.)

Rocket, the bombing in Bali is a terrible tragedy and my sympathies go to the Australians, New Zealanders and any other victims of this terrible event. Now, more than ever, it hilights the importance of correctly identifying those responsible and reacting appropriately. The world doesn't need knee jerk reactions. The world doesn't need leaders who cynically use events like this (and Sept 11th) as implied justification for whatever warmongering actions they wish to take against whatever nation.

There is no indication of any link between the Bali bombing and Iraq and there probably never will be. It's extremely unlikely that Iraq is involved in any way.

Now, how long will it be before Bush tries to use it as more vindication for his invasion of Iraq?


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1474

Rocket Rod

smiley - erm Khalifa(set up IJ/JI) smiley - erm son-in-law of smiley - erm OSAMA bin hehe LADEN
Don't you guys read the news. Islamic Jihad exists.


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1475

Empty Sky (Remember me fondly.)

Yes. It's generally believed that AlQueda are responsible for the bombing in Bali. I don't think anyone's contesting that. What's your point Rocket?


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1476

Rocket Rod

If you can't understand that *they* want to KILL *US* then I suppose you're probably a euro-git.
(they only notice when the people get out)
smiley - rocketRod
most people wouldn't know if a train was up 'em


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1477

Empty Sky (Remember me fondly.)

What??? Who are THEY? All Muslims? In which case you mean one billion people, one sixth of the world's population. And who are US? Everyone else? Yeah, that's really intelligent thinking, the kind that plunges the world into an apocolypse.

This is exactly the kind of thinking the world doesn't need. It makes you no better than the terrorists.


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1478

Neugen Amoeba

ApparÏtÏon : "Military contractors. I've heard things said here and there, but nothing referenced. I've already read that the NRA is a supporter of the republican party.

With the not insubstantial increase in military spending. I'm suggestion that it's not insubstantial as a motive either."

This is another interesting, albeint rather boring, area regarding financing. See, most of the money being made by these companies is in the maintenance of military equipment already in service. So the more flight hours a jet fighter has, the more scheduled maintenence stops are required and the more money say General Electric makes in performing maintenance on the jet engines. Given that GE's military division is only a small fraction of their total revenue base, I don't see that as a motive.

However there are companies out there who solely depend on military funding. Now military funding is nothing more then tax money. If these companies donate the tax money given to them by the government to a political party, then there's something wrong.

My main concern with military spending on this scale is that it is effectively public funding of private corporations (general dynamic, Nothrop are all publicly listed). In other words socialism, with the risks we've seen demonstrated in the former USSR. i.e. once funding is reduced by a substantial amount, we have the potential for mass unemployment, recessions etc. With the US government spending more and more on the military, they are putting themselves under pressure to maintain this level of spending in an attempt to prevent an increase in unemployment etc......


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1479

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


Ok, so lets say A-Q are responsible for the bombing of bali. let's say Islamic Jihad does exist as some all encompassing Islamic plot ( amongst the various Islamic Militant factions) to overthrow the Western World.

That still doesn't link it to Saddam or Iraq. In any way. Who was the man who fought a ten year war ( a very bloody and casualty high war at that), against the worlds first Islamic fundamentalist State. While the west, whho now brand him an Islamic terrorist, supplied him with arms and cheered loudly from the side lines.

Btw, the term 'Euro-git' is *extremely offensive*. I don't suppose you'd care to be called an Aussie-prat.

smiley - shark


Bush versus Democracy

Post 1480

Empty Sky (Remember me fondly.)

Neugen, it seems that it'll be self perpetuating. The corporations that enjoy the fruits of increased government expenditure on the military are the ones who helped to put Bush into power. While they continue to have their man in the White House, the gravy train will continue. While Bush continues to be a 'war time president' (something that's of his own making) he is more re-electable. The cycle continues. Neat eh?

Does anyone remember when the USA was a democracy?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more