The Edge

0 Conversations

The Official Edge graphic by Wotchit

Part Seven

Wickrain always went to the monument during times of crisis. The way his companies expenses accountant had been acting, he was going to it five or six times a week. He was thinking about having a scale model built in his flat.

The monument was built to commemorate the fallen heroes of The North Sea War1 and Wickrain's dad had died in it just after Wickrain was conceived. In order to preserve the secrecy of the North Sea War 2 the monument was simply a grey slab, half-buried into the ground. Grass and weed had started to cover and Wickrain reckoned that in a few years he might have trouble finding it.

A piece of tumbleweed rolled past for effect.

It had taken Wickrain 6 years to find out what had happened to his dad and another 5 to find out where he was buried (it turned out to be underneath the monument). The moment he found it he had latched onto it and used it as a source of comfort.

Wickrain was scared, not least of a certain psychopathic accountant. He was also worried about the dreams he was having, especially the one where there was nothing. At all. Wickrain knew that when you're asleep you only dream for little more than an hour or two, so obviously much of what you see when you are asleep is nothing. But this was different. This was a dream about nothing and he couldn't stop it, yet there was a chance to and... Blasted dreams.

Taking a deep sigh, Wickrain turned and headed home.

The Edge Archive

Oberon2001

24.04.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1The North Sea War has to go down in history as the least filmed war ever. It was a highly classified mission by the British Navy against Iceland over the North Sea gas supply2Both sides were extremely embarrassed about the war as it had started out as something to do with cod

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1030654

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more