A Conversation for

"glasses:upwards or downwards?"

Post 1

zendevil

...or maybe for you, it isn't really vitally important which way up they are stored, or whether they are in straight lines, or whether the kitchen paper is nicely lined up underneath.

But it is for some people, and feeling that they can control their environment is vital, since they realise they are unable to control emotional stuff in other people.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm

It's not easy when someone you love has OCD, especially if they are in denial about it.

Any advice appreciated.

zdt


"glasses:upwards or downwards?"

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I've no experience of it, but probably there are support groups, not only for people with it, but for partners of people with it, eg

http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1170a.htm

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/ocd/site/comm_calender.htm

http://www.php.com/dosig/ocd

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"glasses:upwards or downwards?"

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I have mild OCD - fortunately 8 years of therapy with a DBT course has given me the insight to recognise negative behaviours and any mental crutches I get.

Just before I finished working it became terrible - not so much at work, but on the way to and from work (as soon as I got into my workplace this magic mask appeared and the 'other' person took over - the coping clever, intelligent, capable, efficient one).

I would wait at the bus stop repeating the bus numbers over and over in my head - in the correct order. I *had* to walk up the street in the exact same way. If I didn't it felt, how can I describe it, like I had lost my purse with all my cash in it.

After I stopped working it got worse because I had more waking hours with me (not the 'nurse me') and I realised what was happening.

I would - and still do on bad days - get in and out of bed to check I had turned the fire off, then check the incense was out, then check the taps are off. Once that is done I *always* have to kiss Bobby teddy and then say thankyou to Patch fluffy dog toy - in that order or it doesn't count. If i don't then something bad will happen. About 3 months ago i stopped smoking in bed because I found the checking of the ashtray to make sure the ciggy was out was unbearable.

The way I have learned to manage - not control - it is by doing things in order. If I have got as far as checking the fire is off and there is no heat coming from it, then I know I have already checked the taps the front door and the loo seat, made sure there isn't too much water in the washing up bowl (fear of cats drowning)etc, because that is the order I do them. This has stopped the doubt and rechecking - but not the original checking. OCD is different for everyone - some have hand washing and contamination obsession, I have check obsession.

I was able to do this because I was aware things were getting out of control.

I don't know if this helps or not.


"glasses:upwards or downwards?"

Post 4

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

it is like an itch you need to scratch.


"glasses:upwards or downwards?"

Post 5

zendevil


No germ phobia, but everything has to be in *exactly* the right place "or it's not beautiful" and certain things "that's not clean", plus takes ages to leave his place 'cos it all has to be properly sorted first.

Oh *sigh* since i live in organised chaos, he is probably suffering horribly!

Very good at DIY though, these sorts of people, they do have their advantages!

smiley - whistle

zdt


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more