A Conversation for

One Manic Year

Post 1

Andmymare

Has anyone out there, ever experienced a manic time, and NOT been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder? I need to talk to someone about this, but, feel like an imposter in Bi-Po forums or conversations. And yet, there is no mistaking it, it was the best of times, it was the worst. And each day that leads me "further away" from it in time, and understanding, just leaves me with more questions, not the least of which is, "Geez, I wonder if that'll ever happen again"?
Ah well, here's a message in a bottle....
Andmymare


One Manic Year

Post 2

zendevil


Come and talk, know the syndrome well, no probs.

No labels, just witter away!

smiley - cheers

zdt(Zendevil Terri)


One Manic Year

Post 3

Andmymare

Ahm, you know it well? Hmmm. I came this close, this close, to being prescribed Lithium or summat, as being diagnosed as possibly, probably Bi-Polar. I don't believe I am, as this was my first experience with mania, and was taking Paxil at the time. I came to find out that the "medical community" had agreed amongst themselves that some anti-depressants and sometimes catalyze, or precipitate, "manic episodes". Beautiful, I'm thinking. So, part of me, misses it, misses it! And other part thinks, "well ye could never live like that for long." I just had never heard of anyone going off like a roman candle and then just returning to, well, what is for me, normal.
And originally, I thought, it was, a days-long thing, but, really, leading up to, and await from the most intense time, was, a year. A whole year!! So, have you heard of this before?
Thank you for looking in; I didn't really think anyone would hear me in this huge place.
Kinder, gentler, but slightly woeful, Andmymare


One Manic Year

Post 4

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

You can have any pattern, each is individual,you can have only one episode. The medication is a balancing act so it's possible it caused the change.

I have not experienced it , only been around others who have talked about it.

It has been commmon to read of others whom miss their manic episodes.
If you do not pick up on any negative consequences of your actions while manic it would be easy to understand. Denial works for the good and bad of all.

I do not want to mention names. Perhaps others will come along and talk to you. Terri and I know some whom could relate to your episode and even the missing of it smiley - smiley Maybe they'll see this and feel like posting.


One Manic Year

Post 5

Andmymare

Well it's very kind of you. Just the once eh? I mean, Good, just the once! I understand from my reading that it can be horrific, so I don't underestimate its possible smashing powers. I was just fortunate to get a tiny breath of the beast. It isn't something I'd want to mess with or boast about. I am just ambivalent, but realize I'm lucky.
Thank you so much, and hope the ferrets are ferreting and the mandolins are in tune.
Andmymare


One Manic Year

Post 6

Ellen

Hi there, JEllen here,

Your mania may indeed have been a one time thing precipitated by the antidepressant.

It's not usual to miss at least some of the aspects of mania. After all, mild mania feels absolutely terrific. Problem is you can't keep it there, you either crash into depression or spiral up into psychosis.

I was diagnosed bipolar back in 1993. I do miss the wonderful energy I had when manic, and I miss the way music sounded when manic, which was absolutely amazing. But my mania went out of control and caused me to have a car wreck. So I would never really want to risk it again.

I think you will find a way to make peace with your past. Drop by my page any time.


One Manic Year

Post 7

zendevil


You might find a nice place to wander by is my journal space; the EYE thread. It's where many of us meet up; like a "drop in" type place, it's a safe place, it's somewhere people just go & know you can whinge, cry, rant, jump for joy; whatever...i think the only rule is "hey; we are all in this together, no point in being nasty"

Most of us would be slotted into various medical categories; but in fact most of us are actually very caring people who just happen to have more experience than most of some of the more difficult aspects of life.

And from there you can smiley - boing jump to all the other places!

Welcome to hootoo!!!!!

zdt


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more