A Conversation for

May 33rd

Post 1

Researcher U197087

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/may33rd.shtml


May 33rd

Post 2

zendevil


looks like it could be very interesting...but possibly disturbing/triggering.

haven't got a TV so no chance of seeing it though;smiley - sadface Actually, that's not quite true, i have recently acquired a little B/W one..but it doesn't work yet & if/when it does it will only get French programmes! I will read the reviews of this though, thanks for that Krispy.

How ya doing anyway?

zdt


May 33rd

Post 3

Researcher U197087

Hi Terri

I caught a glimpse of it advertised last night and thought I should point it out. It's probably going to be very triggering for some, ritual abuse (of which I know zip but have heard various accounts) carries a whole different level of consequence for the survivors. I wonder how responsible and understanding this drama will prove to be, but I hope to be surprised.

As for me, I'm, well.. depressed and remorseful to be blunt. But mostly tired, and it's Friday night so I'm going to veg out in front of Friends.

Take care smiley - rose


May 33rd

Post 4

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I will watch it - but then I always do. In some way I think that watching programmes like that are almost cathartic, in that it allows me to cry for a character or feel emotion for a charachter that I am afraid to feel for myself. It is like an excuse to cry.

But yes, it is very triggering, particularly when programmes don't give you a warning such as soaps etc.


May 33rd

Post 5

Willem

I, at any rate, will be interested in comments from people who have watched it.


May 33rd

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I'll be interested too, to hear what it is like.


Here another link with brief info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/may33rd2.shtml


Here's the BBC drama board where people will most likely discuss it. There is one comment already from someone called johnboy who's seen a preview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?state=threads&board=drama.drama&


May 33rd

Post 7

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,2763,1158897,00.html


May 33rd

Post 8

Willem

Thanks kea. I am very interested in the phenomenon of DID, and I also want to know more about the extent and effects of ritual abuse. I have heard of it from a few different people by now.


May 33rd

Post 9

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Hi Willem smiley - smiley

I have some interesting links saved about multiplicity (sometimes known as DID), I'll see if I can find them for you.

~~

Is there anyone in the UK that can video or DVD the May33rd programme on Weds?

kea.


May 33rd

Post 10

Researcher U197087

I'll tape it no probs, but I won't be able to convert it to any US formats or anything. Best I can think is put it onto audio mp3 - which will probably improve it, at least for the lack of visual triggers and traditionally mawkish BBC performances.


May 33rd

Post 11

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

smiley - ok thanks Krispy. I'm in New Zealand. I have an idea of how I can view a UK vid - will just do some research and get back to you. If you can tape it in normal play rather than the long/short play thing that'd keep things simpler too. It'd be good to see it as I doubt that it will be screened in NZ.

kea.


May 33rd

Post 12

Researcher U197087

Then I should congratulate you on your Oscar for outstanding contribution to location research smiley - cool

If you want you can email [email protected] with a PO Box address or such, and I'll get it to you asap. I hope short=normal though, because s/l are the only options I've got! And an mp3 is unfeasible sadly, at 90 minutes long and without a CD burner.

'brokenscience' smiley - doh - I was young and needed the metaphorical concept, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

smiley - donut


May 33rd

Post 13

Kaz

Well I saw it, it was terribly tragic and no way out, no way to stop it. I began to wish she would kill herself, it truely seemed a positive thing to do, and I normally would never think that.


May 33rd

Post 14

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>Oscar for outstanding contribution to location research<<

That wouldn't be a reference to Peter Jackson's overblown advertisement for the NZ Tourism Board would it? smiley - winkeye


brokenscience sounds smiley - cool and froody to me . Thanks for that, I'll get organised at my end. I think SP is probably the normal one (long play being the newer thing).


Kaz, so no resolution of any kind during the film?


May 33rd

Post 15

Researcher U197087

It was deeply moving and there wasn't any sort of resolution, just an awful reminder of how isolating it is to have such a terrifying life and no-one to turn to or trust. Subtle but very powerful.

I think it dealt with the subject with great tenderness. Very little dialogue, a beautiful performance from Lia Williams and though it had a clearly expository mandate it was excellent drama.

Taped smiley - ok


May 33rd

Post 16

Researcher U197087

Here's what the Times had to say, very accurately.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-106-1082843,00.html


May 33rd

Post 17

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I started to watch it - about the first 20 minutes - but started to feel a bit triggered, so changed the channel. But I was taping it anyway so I will watch it when i feel strong.


May 33rd

Post 18

Kaz

It triggered me and I have never suffered ritual abuse. It was so moving though I imagine it could trigger anybody.

There were postings made by some pagans on a site I work for, they said they hoped it would not be ritual abuse because that reflected badly on pagans. Although they showed it was obviously anti-christian abuse, it had no relation to paganism. I do not like to say satanic abuse, as satanism is a way of life all about experiencing life to the fullest and never hurting other people on purpose. I am fed-up with satanic being used i this context. Anyway, I replied to the posting and said my piece and havn't heard a thing in return! Even though pagans parents have been very badly treated by social workers, who assume in altar in the home means ritual abuse goes on. If this abuse in really going on, and it seems it is, then we have to put the abused first and stop worrying about other things.

This woman is now going to go on about how ritual abuse puts pagans in a bad light, and yes it does as long as people do not understand what ritual abuse is, and that it has no connections to paganism. But that is no excuse to not show programmes which tell the truth.

Difficult subject.


May 33rd

Post 19

Researcher U197087

Hi

Kaz, I just want to pick up on this - 'trigger anybody'; I think it would only be a 'trigger' in a PTS context if it, like the purple scarf or the 'Dougal' image, resurrects personal traumatic memory, as a florist would trigger an asthma attack. I thought it might be worth making the distinction because while it's likely anyone who hasn't had such a memory (and I sure haven't) might see it as extremely frightening to imagine, they'll have a sense of disconnectedness from that fear treating it as fantasy; anyone who *knows* won't have that luxury, emotionally. I watched this without much problem, but Nil By Mouth? Can't do it. smiley - sadface

I could see that this would trigger the hell out of any female survivor here though, so kudos to you for wanting to brave it. I hope when you're comfortable and in supportive company you'll find something very valuable from it; it triggered in me, mostly creative jealousy and guilt, really.


May 33rd

Post 20

Researcher U197087

Kea, do you still want the tape sent to you? I've not heard anything so I was wondering if you were still interested. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more