A Conversation for

Just o let you know...

Post 1

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

F94020?thread=401198


Just o let you know...

Post 2

Kaz

hmmmmmmm

don't know what to say yet, worth keeping an eye on it though, thanks Mort for pointing it out.


Just o let you know...

Post 3

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/F1777987?thread=400376 Longer convo about it


Just o let you know...

Post 4

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Unfortunately, my monitor's too screwed up for me to read those pages very well, but I think I got a vague idea of what was being said. I'll keep an eye on that one too, thank you Mort.


Just o let you know...

Post 5

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Yes, thanks Mort.

I've just put my smiley - 2cents in (asked a couple of questions) at the DNA Hub convo.


Just o let you know...

Post 6

Ellen

A policy just for the mentally ill? Not sure I like that - most of hootoo know I'm bipolar.

smiley - towel JEllen


Just o let you know...

Post 7

zendevil


Kea & Krispy have both contributed to "The Hub",i tried to do so but just got sent back to my own page! So, does the fact that I am unable to work this out mean I am suffering from mental illness, or just simply thick?smiley - evilgrin

I am somewhat suspicious about all this. ?paranoia?,though it may well be an indication of greater awareness of the "problem", which might, in time lead to more tolerance.

But i am VERY wary of being classified primarily according to the fact that I have had "mental problems". Personally I don't give a damn who knows about it,but others might not feel the same way.

Er....just how are "they" going to define this? Maybe a "mentalhealth questionnaire" upon joining; ifthe results indicate "this one's a nutter", they get directed to a separate section & postings carefully monitored?

And if deemed necessary, BBC contacts a "RL" smiley - doctor to smiley - run round & sort them out?

Which year is this?Ah yes, i remember now, 2004. It's only taken 20 yrs for George Orwells predictions to start seeming like a worrying possiblity.

smiley - zensmiley - devilTerri


Just o let you know...

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Yaay Terri. That's alot of what I am thinking too. I wasn't quite sure where the original poster on the Hub thread was coming from - I think I was finding it hard to believe that it was from the "those people over there who have a mental problem who are different from the rest of us normal ones" perspective and I kept looking for something I was missing. Rather naive of me I suppose smiley - sadface


Personally I think everyone has mental health and/or consciousness patterns to manage and I don't see any line that separates the 'mentally ill' from the 'normal'. Although perhaps there is a difference in that some people are much more aware of the challenges and gifts they have than others.


Just o let you know...

Post 9

zendevil


Absolutely!

Most of my friends could probably be dumped into this category, & they are certainly more thoughtful, caring & contemplative than the average "normal" person I meet.

There is a vast diference between "us lot" & genuinely nasty, cruel people, who may or may not be "sane"; i think most of us on this thread have increased radar towards this & ignore such types.

Just what is the edfinition of "normal"? Pretty well most great historical figures, artists, just about any sort of creative person seems to be at risk of being labelled "suffering from mental illness" if they don't "toe the party line"! Obviously there is a world of difference between say, Hitler & Buddha, but what differentiates them was the way they chose to use their qualities. Knowing the difference between good & evil isn't difficult.

Anyway, who says we are suffering? Personally, i take great delight in being a little bit different to most of the smiley - sheep

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - evilgrinsmiley - evilgrin(wonder who decided there was a need for THAT smiley?)

smiley - zensmiley - devilTerri(tut-tut; bi-polar name!)


Just o let you know...

Post 10

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Indeed. Krispy asked me this morning what I thought of the idea of being put in the corner with all the other nutters. My only response was that at least we "nutters" seem to be able to play nicely with each other, unlike any number of the "normal" folk. Though I can't say I've met many people I'd classify as "normal" on h2 anyway. smiley - winkeye

I think it's admirable to want to foster an attitude of acceptance and tolerance for people's eccentricities. But I don't think it's good or healthy or in the spirit of community-mindedness to pigeonhole people when the end result is likely to be emotional or actual exile. I'd hate to think I was being monitored for potential impending wig-out on account of having "issues". And I certainly would be p*ssed off if I was having a rough time, and complete strangers who know nothing about me took it upon themselves to arbitralily notify the local health authorities or anything like that. Big Brother might be watching, but as long as I'm oblivious to it, it's not hurting me. If I knew I was being watched, I wouldn't be able to be myself. You know what I mean?

One thing I wonder about though, is this. Why is it that it's the nutters who are singled out for being banned? Last year, when another user was really hateful and nasty toward me, and the appropriate people were notified, no-one saw fit to do anything about it. But if I were to do the same thing to this person or someone else, I'm sure the end result would be very different. Is it because I'm not friends with the "right" people here, not in with the "in" crowd, so to speak? Or is it something else?

Anyway, I'm not afraid of people knowing what my issues and eccentricities are. I'm not worried about people watching over or spying on me either, I don't think I'm all that interesting enough to make it worth their effort. And if it is, then *they're* the ones who have a problem, not me. smiley - winkeye But some people are very sensitive to being watched, and I think that it's best for the general public to leave people alone for the most part, unless they're being overtly rude and troublesome, and give help only when it is (implicity, or subtly) asked for.

Just my smiley - 2cents. And a very long, rambling smiley - 2cents at that. smiley - erm


Just o let you know...

Post 11

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

It is just a represention of life.


Just o let you know...

Post 12

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Hi Mort, I really appreciate your having posted that link, it's good to know what's going on.

What's the representation of life, could you elaborate? The need to isolate people who are different, to make them feel even more so? Or what?

I actually perceived imsogreen's proposition as being inherently helpful, or at least coming from a desire to be. But sometimes trying to be helpful causes more harm (I'd typed "home" just then, Freudian slip?) than good.


Just o let you know...

Post 13

Kaz

Just posted my thoughts on that convo, they are rather rambling though!


Just o let you know...

Post 14

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I thought your thoughts were very well put Kaz. I was thinking of posting there as well, though I don't know what to say!


Just o let you know...

Post 15

Kaz

I am relieved that it was understandable!


Just o let you know...

Post 16

Kaz

PCandy, just read your posting and I really thought it was good. The points you made were well put. I wasn't going to say this there, as it seemed to be a place for serious posts as opposed to all the other things we might otherwise say. Hope that is okay.smiley - hug

SEF just isn't helpful is she/he?


Just o let you know...

Post 17

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Believe it or not, I honestly think that SEF is on "our" side. (Bad choice of terminology, but it's all I can think of right now) After some of the things he/she said in my posting when I resigned from the ACES, I felt that way. We shall see, I suppose.

Thank you for saying what I said there was good and well-put. I just hope we haven't gotten ourselves on some kind of "watch list". Or am I just being paranoid again?


Just o let you know...

Post 18

Kaz

Paranoid and sensible at the same time!!


Just o let you know...

Post 19

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've posted again... I'm likely marked for life now, Ah, well, if I have to re-register with a new ID I know how to let people know who I am. I've made too many Real friends here to worry too much.

how sad, though, that so many people see those of us with mental problems and issues, even those with flat out chemical imbalances they can do nothing about, as a threat to their safety and security... when it's actually quite the contrary! Oh, well, it's a sad fact of life. Still, we deal. Kudos to us! smiley - bubbly


Just o let you know...

Post 20

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Me, sensible?

I've got to send that to my mother. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more