A Conversation for How to Sleep in Your Car

Writing Workshop: A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 1

Paulo

Entry: How to Sleep in Your Car - A1004068
Author: Researcher 222356 - U222356

Hello, this is my first stab at a guide entry, tell me what you think...


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 2

Whisky

Whilst this is a nicely written entry I'm afraid I'm going to take issue with a couple of points...

Firstly "Sleeping in one’s car on a weekend trip is a good practice"...

No it ain't! Quite a few people have ended up being mugged whilst sleeping in their car.

Secondly: In quite a few places it's actually illegal to sleep in your car (motorway service stations in the UK for one)

Finally: "If you are attempting to sleep in your car, chances are that you have spent the better part of the night drinking alcoholic beverages"

I think you'll find that if you're over the limit for drink driving and your car is on a public highway the police can do you the second you touch the car... You can be convicted for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle even if you're asleep in it? smiley - yikes

(The last one has always made me wonder what would happen if you've a camper van and park up for the night then sit in the back and have a bottle or two of wine with your meal... You might not have any intention of driving anywhere, but technically you're still over the limit and in control of a motor vehicle)

I think you'll have to put in a few of the possible shortcomings of sleeping in a car as well as the advantages...

Hope this doesn't put you off writing though
smiley - cheers
Whisky


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 3

Friar

I really like the way this article is written, unfortunately I agree with Whiskey and will go ever a step further.

Many people travelling across the US stop overnight in their cars.

Not only do they frequently get mugged, they also GET KILLED.

The Highway Patrol Officers can arrest you for sleeping in you car in the highway in some counties just as a safety precaution.

I love the way you right and did pick the right KIND of topic, but either put in a disclaimer that this action is an emergency action only or find another idea. But that's just my opinion. . .

Friar


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 4

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Don't be discouraged, 222356. OK, there can be problems with the busies; but there are ways to minimise them. The surest is to be among other vehicles parked overnight on a car park. Another is to be somewhere out of sight of the highway. Preferebly both.

Yep, always insist, if asked, that it is an emergency. One I found particularly handy was saying that I was low on petrol and it was too late to find more. Therefore had to stop within fuel distance of a filling station until morning.

This is just another aspect of a moronic law. I can sleep in a house within spitting distance of my car (open window permitting) and still be in the clear. So how about a caravan (attached or not)? Then there's the camper or even a tent. Are we only in charge of those things we are physically present in? Load of rot! smiley - smiley


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 5

Mina

In the UK you are allowed to be in your car if you are over the limit - but if you put the keys in the ignition, or a police officer feels that you might try to drive they can arrest you. If they come across you having a kip you'd probably be alright, as long as you don't try to have the engine running for heat etc.

I don't really see a problem with an entry like this - I hadn't realised that in some places it's so dangerous! Lock your doors might be good advice. I'm not sure that this is really a sensible guide to sleeping in the car, rather than trying to be a 'comedy' entry. I've spelt in cars loads over the years, and I think it could be a valuable contribution to the Guide if it was made really useful.

Having an estate is a big plus - in most of them you can lie almost flat, although I've slept in cars with other people too. Something soft to put under your ehad as you lean on the door/window is a must.


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 6

Farlander

i would like to add that if you're going to sleep in your car, then the first two things you should do is to wind down the windows a little so that fresh air can get in, and to turn off the engine so that you don't die of carbon monoxide poisoning. (there were these two kids from my school who decided, after an amorous adventure in the car, to sleep in it. they were found dead in the car the next day. they'd forgotten the engine was still running) of course, that would put you in a more susceptible position for mugging...

oh, and if you're going to spend a night in the car, i would also suggest that you sleep in the *back* seat. if you were to sleep in the front seat, you might very well accidentally knock the hand brake out of place and find yourself - and the car- in the ditch/lake the morning after.


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 7

Z

Hi, unfortunatly the authour hasn't responded or posted for over two months so it looks like this is FM bound?


A1004068 - How to Sleep in Your Car

Post 8

Mina

A28423145


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more