The h2g2 Post 25.09.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 25th September 2023

 This week's title is Out and About: A Breath of Fresh Air. Against a blue background are clockwise: The smokestacks and side wheel of the last ocean-going steamship, the Waverley, ruins on the island of Gemiler in Turkey, with the Aegean and mountain in the background, a small boat docked at Whitby in England, a praying mantis on a concrete step, A vivid pink lily, white hollyhocks in bloom, Rossi the cat looking pensive, and some small white cats with grey caps and ears looking down at the photographer with big eyes from among the Lycian tombs in Turkey.

How is your September going? Researchers are finding it eventful: there has been a wedding (congratulations!), a sad passing (we will miss you, Jax kitty), and a fair amount of travel – some of which you'll see in this issue (more to come). There are also considerable imaginings of a highly varied nature. Here's a brief rundown.

  • Glimpses of the Aegean: It was FWR's turn among the ruins. He didn't see any dead people, but he did see a lot of cats because Turkey.
  • Boats! Galaxy Babe saw one at Whitby, but it wasn't the Demeter. Bluebottle spotted a rare steamship off the Isle of Wight.
  • Cats and a dog being strange: From tomb raiding to what are you feeding him? Things to ponder.
  • Really bizarre cinema from Awix.
  • Poems, comic conundra, humour: and more.
  • Flowers: Nature's still blooming, folks. Enjoy.
  • Puzzlers: A quiz for you. Google Translate strikes again. Jokes. A crab shell.



You know what to do with this stuff: Read, comment (in a friendly way!), pass it on. Have a great week, and remember to catch some of this fleeting beauty and strangeness to send our way.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. For photojournalism. . .all life experience affects why we see the way we do, which direction we choose to aim the camera and why we select that particular moment to press the shutter button. . .

William A Wynne, Yankee Doodle Yorkie
Soldiers and sailors with a variety of large and small dogs.


September 2023 Post Challenge:
The Dogs of War


Video Extra:
It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
by Galaxy Babe
Click here in Ripley


OUTDOOR PURSUITS
Rocky Mountain Goat

Rocky Mountain Goat by Willem.

NOT-SO-QUIET THOUGHTS


WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT


Whitby

Boat at Whitby by Galaxy Babe.


FLOWER SHOW




Uncommon
White common hollyhock by Tavaron.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Poem
  • A poetic visit
    to the seaside.

WHIMSY


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88034033

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more