Pop Culture Reimaginings

1 Conversation

Pop Culture Reimaginings

Artist's Statement:

The figures are what is called Pop Funko collectors items, based on film or television characters (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc). These either reflect the programs / films they were in or put the characters in new settings. It is usually oppositional situations or exploration of individual characters, good or bad

The hooded figure on the red and yellow ground is the emperor from Star Wars, the earliest series. The yellow plastic coming out of his fingers is supposed to be psychic power. The red and blue objects are supposed to be electric terminals and I was going to put a copper wire between them but it looked a bit naff, so I didn't in the end. The red and yellow indicates his state of mind (angry that Darth Vader had turned against him).
Star Wars reimagined
The second figure is a later incarnation of the Penguin from the Batman films. Again used differently to the characters part in the film as in the UK there is a saying, why have a dog and bark yourself? I threw in the teeth sweet, which I found on the beach after buying the dog. It added to the scene by showing a man chewing a bone, not a dog, again on the same theme.
Batman reimagined
The third character is from Dune by Frank Herbert (love a lot of his quotes). It shows a technical society breaking down. I made a mess of the character's face (dirty finger marks) and thought, what can I do with him? Dystopia came to mind.
Batman reimagined

You can see more of these creations by visiting the artist's Pinterest page, or see them at Viewbug.

Paigetheoracle Archive

Paigetheoracle

24.07.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88033539

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more