Colours of Wildlife: Greater Blackwinged Lapwing

1 Conversation

Greater Blackwinged Lapwing

Willem is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours. . . but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Greater Blackwinged Lapwing


Today I bring you a species I haven't yet seen myself! I painted this with permission from a photo by Marc Cronjé. This is a Greater Blackwinged Lapwing, Vanellus melanopterus. This is one of South Africa's most restricted lapwing species, only occurring close to the coast from the Eastern Cape Province to northern Kwazulu-Natal, Swaziland and Mpumalanga. A second population constituting a different subspecies occurs much further to the north, in Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia and Eritrea.


The greater blackwinged lapwing is quite beautiful in an understated way. Its plumage is elegantly grey, black and white, with a bronzy sheen on its back feathers in good light. It has a white forehead extending backward as a white 'eyebrow' line. It has a bold black band across its chest. Its black wing feathers are seen mainly when it flies. It also has a white band across its middle wing, and a black-tipped white tail. From close-up it can be seen to have a dark red ring around its eye, which is yellow with a greenish rim around the pupil. In the breeding season, the eye ring and also the legs become brighter red. It is fairly similar to its relative the Crowned Lapwing, which is bolder both in markings and behaviour. It is even more similar to the Lesser Blackwinged Lapwing, which is a bit smaller. It has a typical lapwing call: 'kik-kik-kik-kik-krrreeee!'


Greater blackwinged lapwings occur in moist but short grassland. It is found close to sea level in the south, but deeper inland and at higher altitudes the further one goes north. In East Africa, it is a bird of highland grasslands. It seems to prefer cool, temperate climates rather than the extreme, oppressive heat of much of the African savannah drylands in the summer. It often visits grasslands that have recently been burnt, where the grass is re-sprouting and still short. In these habitats, it hunts small invertebrates like slugs, earthworms, termites, ants, beetles, grasshoppers and more. It stalks, keeping watch with keen eyes, quickly running to peck up its prey. While mainly a daytime hunter relying on vision, it can sometimes be active on moonlit nights.


In regions where suitable habitat occurs only in small patches, one to a few of these lapwings will stake out territories that they aggressively defend. This can be against other lapwings, or against potential predators. Predators are subjected to 'mobbing', where birds will fly at them, loudly calling, and sometimes 'dive-bombing' them. In areas where suitable habitat occurs in large expanses, the lapwings are less territorial and may congregate in large groups. They frequently associate with the aforementioned crowned lapwing, which is a louder, more aggressive bird, better able to drive away intruders. In turn, the crowned lapwings benefit in flocks from the alertness of the blackwinged lapwings, which warn them with alarm calls if any danger is spotted. Both these lapwing species also associate with large, grazing mammals, which help to keep the grass short.


The breeding season for greater blackwinged lapwings starts in late winter to early spring, when the grass is short and dry. Males become more territorial, proclaiming their dominance by calling while flying with exaggerated wing-beats. After copulation, the male and female often perform a little mutual display run, each partially opening the wing on the side opposite its partner. The nest is a shallow scrape amidst the short grass. Three or four eggs are laid. They're olive brown, blotched black, and well-camouflaged. The lapwings add nesting material in the form of dung or plant pieces, that partially bury the eggs, concealing them even more. The chicks hatch after about a month; they're downy, open-eyed, and immediately able to walk and run. They accompany their parents, who show them how to find food. At the age of about 40 days they're able to fly and take full care of themselves.


Over most of their range, greater blackwinged lapwings move around in responses to habitat changes and climate. In the seasonal climates of southern South Africa, they move inland to cooler, higher regions in the breeding season of the spring and summer, departing to the warmer coastal areas in the colder autumn and winter. They also move around in response to rains and grass fires. In East Africa, they're more strictly migratory, moving to much lower regions after breeding in the highlands. They sometimes congregate in large numbers while on migration. They often migrate by night.


Overall, this lapwing is not endangered. Despite having fairly narrow habitat requirements, these are often met in human-influenced landscapes such as farms. Yet, it doesn't like too much disturbance. Just left in peace, these lapwings are sure to thrive.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

17.07.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88032666

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more