The h2g2 Post 17.07.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 17th July 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue: The Mountain Goddess of Prisojnik, a house in an Austrian village, an M3 tank being driven, a sign that says 'Sign Not in Use',  a cat unsuccessfully hiding in a small tree, a man sitting on a park bench by the Danube, a yellow tanker lorry labelled TARDIS, an orange day lily, a ship under construction, and a dung beetle on a blade of grass. The title is: On the Road Again, Exploring the Planet.

As you can tell from the array of images, this week is going to be a wild trip. Our Researchers have been everywhere, done it all, and lived to tell about it, unless they're ghosts and haven't told me. What they don't know, they'll make up. Join us for an unpredictable but satisfying journey in which we discover more questions about Life, the Universe, and Everything.

There is signage – of a sort. One appears to be saying ceci n'est pas un signe, but can we trust it? Maybe the UK highway people are just trying to mess with our heads. (It wouldn't take much.) We're grateful for the warning about the dinosaurs, though.

Wonders have been spotted: Angel Lia Dan, our mountaineer on the go, shares a sight from Slovenia. Mrs FWR left her hubby behind and went back to Spain. All he got was this beautiful island photo. Meanwhile, FWR found a great new shortcut, which he'll tell you about in 'The Road (Finally) Taken'. Tavaron spied some rather nice architecture. So it goes.

Bluebottle warns us against thinking that 'TARDIS' is for real. But he's been time-travelling for sure: where else could he have found all these tanks? They're on the move, and they tell stories. Okay, Bluebottle's telling the stories. We think you should take them with a grain of salt.

Nature does not disappoint. Willem's brought a lapwing for show-and-tell. Tav found a dung beetle. SashaQ observed some ducks in the rain: see video. Not only is this fascinating stuff, but it's much more accurate and true-to-life than what you'll see in the cinema these days. Hootoo: much better than pink houses and Napoleon hats. Yes, Awix will review all that eventually, but right now he's talking about another incomprehensible film. Be sure to read the review so you don't have to go and see it. Then you can pretend at parties.

More must-read stuff includes the ongoing novellas. Caiman's will do your head in – you really don't know which way he and FWR will jump next. Meanwhile, ancient Mesopotamia just got a little weirder. It's more about what didn't happen. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. In case you notice that Tavaron's story is on chapter 34, it's because her characters went on strike last week and she's only just got them moving again. They didn't get the memo: it's the writers and actors that are on strike, people, not the fictional characters. (And not us because we aren't screenwriters and don't get paid, anyway.)

There are even more surprises in this issue: I'd tell you about them but I'd rather you go and let yourselves be surprised. So go and read, already. If you see this Stuff and think, 'Hey, I've got several hundred fascinating pictures of my own I'd like to share,' please feel free to moderate your enthusiasm and send me a couple at a time. Please also don't be a Suzy Q: let us in on what we're looking at. Equally, if you've got an anecdote to share about 'the road taken/not taken/lost on', we'd love to hear it.

Have a good week and remember: if you're finding the heat annoying, stop and mentally send some of it Willem's way. He and Sagrys are trying to keep warm in South Africa.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: I don't know of any caterers who would just offer a 3-course lunch for 300 people for free. Even Jesus only provided one course.

– Joanne Harris on Twitter
A country road.


July 2023 Post Challenge:
The Road Taken


Video Extra:
A Legacy, by John B Tabb
Click here in Ripley


WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS
Beware!

Sign, Aggressive Dinosaurs, by Bluebottle.

BRAIN TEASERS


THINGS WE'VE SEEN


Peacock Island

Blue sea, rocks.


OUT AND ABOUT




Can't Find Me
Jax the cat hiding in a tree, not very well. By FWR
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88028229

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more