The h2g2 Post 14.12.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 14th December 2020

Fireside Tales, 2020 Edition

Cats sleeping in front of a fireplace, by DG. The year 2020 is winding to a close – many would say it's overstayed its welcome – and, for those of us who aren't Willem, that usually means snow and early darkness. A good time to put a log on the fire, or turn up the gas well, if you're in a western Pennsylvania farmhouse, and enjoy the warmth. It's also a great time for some good, old-fashioned storytelling. Which is what we have for you this week.

Our contributors' tales often partake of the temporally local this year: they riff on and react to some of the events that have made the year so memorable (unfortunately). To bring in a wider view, we've also reached back into the past and stolen a humorous tale or two from bygone years. And, of course, the ongoing stories keep going on. The result is a compendium of brain fodder for a chilly night, suitable for petting cats, or indeed goats, by.

Let's give you a brief rundown:

    Mrs Hoggett's minigoats.
  • Paulh begins a story this week. It's about life in a fictional New England town, and how they're handling Christmas in the Covid Year.
  • Freewayriding has the Christmas pageant covered this season. Unfortunately, his pageant involves Henry Letterbox, so just about anything can happen. Followers of last month's writing project will be intrigued but not surprised to learn that there is a character in this story named Ted Damson. The Editor apologises in advance for the inadvertent inspiration.
  • I come at you with a story of loss, frustration, and exile called 'Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba.' If you don't get the title, look up palindrome in the Edited Guide. That's what it's for.
  • After all this, we have a request: tell your own story. We've provided a helpful picture to start you off.
  • Awix has fallen into my cunning trap and watched a truly weird movie I recommended. I enjoyed it. To find out what our reviewer made of the whole thing, see his column.
  • There are lots of jokes, cartoons, comics, and other forms of humour and 'humour' scattered throughout this issue. Appreciate, or fling flans. We care not.
  • There is nature in often surprising forms. There's me nattering about something. In short, what's there is there. Read it.


If you want fewer cartoons from Frank Leslie's Illustrated News, send more Stuff! Otherwise I waste all my time in the archives. Have a good week, stay safe and warm!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Space is time, that which was is now – the men of tomorrow live, and this is their yesterday.

Maxwell Anderson, Winterset, 1935

Coming of Age in Brookville, cover design by Freewayriding
Buy Our New Book!
Excitement, Adventure! Bears!

Create December 2020 by Freewayriding
December Create Challenge:
Midwinter Tales


Video Extra: Hey, Ho, Nobody Home
(The 2020 Christmas Anthem)


NATURAL HISTORY
Gravity Does Not
Apply to Cats

Antigravity Cat by Kitkat


BRAINWORK

FIRESIDE TALES

Christmas in
Crepuscular Meadows (I)

Christmas decoration.


SIGNS OF THE TIMES




RIP Gas?
A headstone-shaped stone labelled 'gas', by SashaQ.

JUST FOR LAUGHS
WORDS AND PICTURES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88005053

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more