The Parade Passes By

1 Conversation

The Parade Passes By

A tree at the edge of a forest

Phan adjusted the tripod and set up the camera. Sunlight was filtering through the trees into the glade at just the right angle to shine on those beautiful plants. The shot looked great, but he took a few, just to make sure.

He liked these digital cameras. No muss, no fuss, and easy transfer. Also, he could correct any lighting errors later. Much better than fussing about in a darkroom.

Saves time, too, he thought to himself, and chuckled for some reason.

Phan moved on to another area now, a meadow this time. Waving wildflowers with butterflies flitting among them. Phan regarded the scene with satisfaction. A few snaps, and some video footage. He also photographed some birds in trees. The scene was peaceful – and very photogenic.

This break was just what he needed after completing his assignment. He'd been explaining to a group of astounded 19th-century scientists and their students what the 20th and 21st centuries were going to do with their discoveries. The scenario he painted for them, of a tired office worker coming home to a microwaved meal, using his remote to dial up junk television, had left them both amused and horrified. Phan wasn't sure, but he thought he might have just inspired science fiction. He shrugged. Not his call: that was the assignment, and he'd done it. Now he was elsewhere in spacetime, relaxing with his camera.

The hobby photographer moved his tripod again: this time, to overlook a hillside full of growing plants. There was a footpath following the bottom of the hill that would balance the shot nicely. On the hill, he could see people in the distance, tending to the plants. As he filmed and took stills, he was annoyed to find other people beginning to fill up the path, walking in a file away from his position.

He was even more annoyed to notice that these people had rifles slung over their backs. He waited to take pictures again until they'd left.

'Okay, that's you.' Phan was startled, as a face filled his viewscreen at a skewed angle, and much too close. He looked up.

A uniformed man was taking notes on a clipboard. 'Just making a note of the serial number on the camera,' he explained. 'To make sure we record all the footage from you correspondents.' The man was fairly young, and wore a pleasant, all-in-a-day's-work expression.

Phan looked at him, confused. What's going on here? he thought, and then he saw.

Armies were moving around. The war correspondents were recording the events. The man thought he was one of them.

'I'm just a wildlife photographer,' he protested.

The man shrugged amiably. 'No problem. Just copy your footage to us, anyway, in case you accidentally catch something of strategic importance. There won't be much wildlife around soon, anyway.' He chuckled, and went on to the next photographer.

Phan looked up at the hillside again. The plant workers were still tending their crop, seemingly oblivious to the threat. On the path, more armed men and women trudged by. Phan looked at the blue sky, the butterflies, and the birds. He made an executive decision. The result of that decision involved waving his arms a bit.

Yihyu yamaw me'atim, pequddatow, yiqqah aher1.. There, that should do it.

Above, the coffee plantation workers continued unmolested. Birds sang in trees. Small butterflies flitted around.

Below, a nearly-invisible wave of energy passed through the low country and created a slightly distorted portal across the path. If you looked at it from a certain angle, it was unmistakable. But if you were involved in the 'action'? Probably not.

Those who entered the path not armed with rifles, or following the 'action', found themselves diverted into a green forest.

The 'soldiers' kept marching down the path – through the portal and into another reality. A short time later, the 'war correspondents' and their record-keeper followed.

Phanuel lingered awhile, taking pastoral photographs, and moved on to his next assignment.

'Let God sort 'em out, indeed, he thought as he left.

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.11.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Psalm 109:8.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88003910

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more