Notre Dame de Paris: A Tribute

1 Conversation

Notre Dame de Paris: A Tribute

On 15 April 2019, Notre Dame de Paris caught fire during renovations. The world watched, aghast, as the eight-centuries-old edifice burned. We gasped when the spire collapsed. We were mourning history. It felt as if our grip on the hands of those who'd gone before us were slipping: they'd reached out from the past to share something with us, and we'd lost it.

It could have been worse: no people were hurt. Precious artefacts were saved. Detailed plans exist. There will be rebuilding. Still, a thread has been broken. In tribute to those folks back there who could take a century and a half or so to erect a building, we'd like to offer you a few 19th-century images of the grand cathedral. May she rise again in glory.

Notre Dame in colour, c1900Notre Dame rooftops, c1860
Notre Dame 1881 painting by Luc Olivier MersonNotre Dame 1860 albumen print
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

29.04.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87936754

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more