Join the Q: Rose Experiments

2 Conversations

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: Rose Experiments

Since I got a new camera this year, I have been carrying out various experiments. I particularly enjoy taking pictures of he rose that shares my darling's name. It flowered beautifully this month, but when I admired it today the best bloom fell off into my hand. This was a little bit sad, but also a bit of a happy opportunity, as it meant I could bring the lovely rose indoors to enjoy its scent, and could also take some time to photograph it.

I decided the rose was a good subject to test the art mode, to see what special effects the camera could produce without the aid of computer-based editing software.

Dramatic Rose

The Dramatic effect was indeed dramatic, and I particularly like the way it brought out the detail in the metal of the table leg.

I liked the High Key setting, as the bright lighting created a pleasant contrast between the pale peach of the rose and the pale turquoise of the table. Low Key was less effective, as it just gave the impression that the rose was in the dark. Toy Effect created a nice vignette to make the rose the focus of the image. The Cross-Process made the colour contrast stronger, to emphasise the pink of the peach and the green of the turquoise, which made for an eyecatching image.

Four Rose Portraits

On balance, though, I think I prefer the original image with no effects applied, as the turquoise of the table contrasts well enough with the rose, and the peach of the petals is perfect as it is.

Rose Original

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

09.07.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87913236

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more