A Conversation for Deep Purple - the Band

Mark VI, 1996 - 1999 and onwards

Post 1

klm

Allthough many Ritchy Blackmore fans where whining about this period in the bands history, most other fans saw this as a rebirth of the band.
In 1999 they played the "Concerto For Group And Orchestra" again after a recreation of the score by a fan, Marco De Goeij.
They opened with two shows at the Royal Albert Hall with Paul Mann leading the London Symphony Orcestra, including friends of the band and solo pieces from each member in the band. As these shows was a great success, and a lot of fun, they took the thing on a world wide tour in 2000, with local orcestras under Paul Mann.
After which they've kept touring with their normal formula of hard jamming rock.
Alas, all good things come to an end and in 2002 Jon Lord decided to leave DP to concentrate on his classical calling.
He was succeeded in the band by Don Airey (ex Rainbow).
The band is still touring and a new studio album "Bananas" will be released in aug 2003.


Mark VI, 1996 - 1999 and onwards

Post 2

Mu Beta

I won't deny any of that, although I will take a few minor issues with your other post. smiley - winkeye

Personally, I lost interest when they decided to revive the Concerto, and things went downhill with Lord leaving.

B


Mark VI, 1996 - 1999 and onwards

Post 3

Metal_Messiah

How can you say things have gone downhill exactly? Granted, I haven't heard the new album (which has only been out a few months, come on!) but Don Airey definately cuts the mustard live. As for Ian Gillan, well...again, live, you wouldn't think for a moment he was knocking on 100...


Mark VI, 1996 - 1999 and onwards

Post 4

Mu Beta

The new album is worse than Purpendicular, which takes some doing...

B


Mark VI, 1996 - 1999 and onwards

Post 5

Metal_Messiah

Interesting...I've heard great things about Perpendicular...oh well, these two are the last on my Deep Purple hitlist so I will judge for myself someday...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more