Barriers To Learning For Adults... (personal barriers)

2 Conversations

The symbol and figure of pi
We have seen in part 1 some of the possible institutional barriers to learning for adults and what could be done to overcome them...

The personal ones are also very important but might be more difficult to get rid of...

Some Of The Personal Barriers Could Be:

Issues already mentioned in part one...


The financial ones regarding transport and how much it will cost as well as the problem of the fee which might be another burden on an already over-stretched budget.

The disabilities issues as the question on their mind might be 'will the facilities be there?!' and "will our needs be met?!'.

Fear of the unknown or not knowing what to expect as well as the language issues for people whose english is not the first language as they could be worried that the level of english used in the class might be too high.

Peer pressure...


Because unfortunately going back to college is not always seen as cool by everyone there might be a negative approach/attitude towards learning in general shown by their friends,colleagues and/or family members.

Not acknowledging the problem...


They might not want to admit there is a problem either because they are embarrassed by it or think that they can manage or mainly because of the shame/stigma attached to the lack of basic skills.

Bad experience from school...


A bad experience from their time at school could make people wary of going back into a learning environment.

It would also affect their confidence and make them feel that either it's too late to learn or/and they can't do it.

A fear of feeling stupid or of failure could also result from it.

Gender Issues...


It could be due to cultural or religious background or just because their partners do not want them to learn and improve their skills.

Not enough time...


Due to family, outside and/or work commitments.

To Overcome These Personal Barriers There Is A Need To:

Like for some of the institutional ones..


Ensure that facilities and teaching equipment for people with disabilities are there and up to date and make sure that people are aware of it.

Look into possibilities of grants/funding to help adults with financial difficulties make the most of the learning opportunities.

Ensure that the information regarding the courses will be widely advertised.

Change peers attitude towards education...


And the way they see the whole process of returning to college in general and basic skills in particular.

Encourage friends, employers and family members to give full support and understanding to the adult who wants to improve their basic skills, not only by helping them to make time for their studies but also by showing how proud they are to see them taking such a big step.

Make people's time at school a better experience...


Schools should not be a bad experience anymore but instead encourage people to learn, discover and explore new avenues and improve themselves.

Deal with gender issues/conflicts...


By making the partners realise that the need to learn and improve is in no way a threat to their marriage/relationship.

Conclusion:


Education and learning new skills (especially basic ones) are very important to survive in today's society.
Everything possible should be done to ensure that every adult in this country can access the learning opportunities available.


Education is a right not a privilege...

Back to 'Barriers To Learning For adults... (institutional barriers)'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A859287

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more