Barriers To Learning For Adults... (institutional barriers)

1 Conversation

A silhouette of the Prisoner against the dreaded white ball

Introduction


We all have seen the TV adverts about the gremlins making fun of parents not being able to count or write...
It was part of a drive from the Government to encourage adults to go back into education...

But is it that simple?!...

There are many barriers stopping adults taking the opportunity to improve their skills; they can be institutional and/or personal (see part 2...)...
They are the reasons why while around 7 million of adults in the UK have basic skills needs only 362 449 of them are attending programmes to improve their skills nationally...

Some of the institutional barriers could be:


Not enough funding from the educational authorities...


Education for adults is not always seen as a priority when it comes to money.

Access problems:


The venue could be too far, or there might be a lack of classes (eg rural area) and/or, of course, no facilities for people with disabilities or creche provisions either.

Times for class not flexible enough:


Adults who are working should also be allowed improve their skills; if the times for the courses clash with their working hours that will not happen.

Parents who have to take and collect their kids to/from school will not be able to join the classes either if they are during these times.

Lack of publicity:


People need to know about the services provided and how that will help them improve their skills, without the proper information they will not be able to take that opportunity.

The lack of information/publicity in community languages is also an important barrier as the adults who need to improve their basic skills (in this case writing and reading in english) will not know about it either.

Employers refusing to give time off to their employees keen to improve their basic skills:


Sad but true, too many bosses are putting barriers to their members of staff who want to improve their skills.

These Institutional Barriers Could Be Overcome By:


Organising local charity and community events.


Members of staff from the adults colleges would have a stall there with all the information necessary.

Drop-in workshops in schools, libraries and community centres could also be held as above.

Advertising on a wider scale by:


Making use of the local newspapers, organisations' newsletters, radio and community events to dissiminate this information to as many adults as possible.

Ensuring that posters and leaflets are available in libraries, various places of worship, schools, community halls, shops and to all community groups.

Making sure as well that the publicity/information is available in large print and on tape and also that the posters and leaflets are in various community languages.

Encouraging employers to give time off to their staff willing to improve their skills by:


Making them aware of the benefits gained from employees with enhanced skills and giving them some incentives with schemes such as the 'Investors In People' Award.

Ensuring that the facilities are adequate...


For people with disabilities and not just a ramp for wheelchairs.

Parents who need a creche for their kids while learning.

Reducing the distance problem...


By organising a mobile provision into local schools and a mini-bus service to/from the college.

Click here for more on "Barriers To Learning For Adults... (personal barriers).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A859214

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more