A Conversation for Great Ways to Spend a Sunday

Church

Post 1

Demon Drawer

OK hear a lot of you moan.

But as a Christian going to the church service is a great way to end/start the week you spend quality time with a community who support you when you are down, allow you to relax, who don't judge you for your failings but admit that none of us are perfect, sing with great gusto and get home after a morning that is refreshing while the rest of the world is only just creeping out from under the covers.


Church

Post 2

Geoff Riley

I won't moan: most of my regular Sundays start with the eight o'clock service, then I join the choir for the ten o'clock service.
The afternoon is clear other than the fourth Sunday in the month when we usually have baptisms.
Finally it's back to the choir for the six-thirty evensong service.
But I do wish they wouldn't put 'Songs of Praise' on just when I'm setting off to church though. smiley - smiley
I enjoy that kind of a Sunday.


Church

Post 3

Bagpuss

Three services and you still want to watch Songs of Praise? Woah. I'm obviously not as holy as you - sometimes going once seems a chore (not today though - it was good).


Church

Post 4

David Brider

> But as a Christian going to the church service is a great way to
> end/start the week you spend quality time with a community who
> support you when you are down, allow you to relax, who don't judge
> you for your failings but admit that none of us are perfect, sing
> with great gusto and get home after a morning that is refreshing
> while the rest of the world is only just creeping out from under
> the covers.

Although in fairness, *some* churches aren't quite like that - sometimes the singing can be more like a limp dishrag.

But yes, spending time with creator of the universe (and other peeps who share your passion for Him) does seem like a pretty good way to spend a Sunday. And the other six days of the week as well.

David.


Church

Post 5

Geoff Riley

Ah, but the reason for wanting to see SoP is that they do sometimes feature songs which are new to me... perhaps it's just a chorister thing smiley - winkeye

Certainly it's nothing to do with being 'holy'... I hope people don't look upon me as over holy anyway. I enjoy singing, and singing praises to God can be (but maybe isn't always!) very uplifting. I sing a lot anyway wherever I am, basically it falls into the category of 'constant praise'.

Sorry, trying to avoid getting too 'heavy'. smiley - smiley


Church

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Well DB if your church ain't like that go out and find one that is. smiley - smiley


Church

Post 7

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Although I like SoP, I'm slightly less holy cos I wish they wouldn't put things like Scrapheap Challenge and Time Team on at the time I leave for church (or worse still just before so I miss half).

I guess that's why God gave us the video recorder.

I must agree with one of the aboves, comming back home (I live in a student house) after a really uplifting service (possibley where I've happilly wept for an hour) to a house that is just waking up is so cool. It's like a specail time with God that everyone else misses out on.

Yeliab


Church

Post 8

Demon Drawer

Absolutely so you can play it to the youth group after the after church meeting. smiley - winkeye


Church

Post 9

Bagpuss

smiley - biggrin I always feel slightly guilty on Thursday if Bible study's running late and I'm sat there thinking "I hope this finishes before Scrubs is on tele."


Church

Post 10

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I tend to sit on Monday nights hoping our study is done early enough so I can squeeze in some h2g2 before I go to bedsmiley - blush When I'm not saying 'The regular coffee's in the carafe, the decaf's in the pot on top of the microwave...' (OK, so it's at our house and I'm not a great hostess...)


Church

Post 11

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Scrubs! Yeah, I've just started watching that, though luckily we have our cell group (for our uni CU) on tuesday so I don;t miss much. But I heard of Scrubs during a thusday evening progressive supper and the hosts were wanting to watch that.

Don't worry if that made no sence to you.

Of course not that TV is a greater priority in my life over reading tme bible/study/prayer, it's just occasionally nice to watch a good program. Oh and I have the pleasure of getting back from Cell in tme for Frasier, which I kind of watch religiously. Hmm, that's probably the wrong frase really, (I was jokingsmiley - winkeye).

smiley - erm
Yeliab


Church

Post 12

Spike

If I hadn't joined the choir I probably wouldn't go. In my 8 years as a bass I've learned alot, made good friends and enjoy the open mouths of the congregation when we belt out something spectacular by Handel, Haydn or Stanford. I wouldn'd miss that part of Sunday for anything.


Key: Complain about this post