A Conversation for The Transmission of Madness: Folie a Deux and Mass Psychogenic Illness

How interesting.

Post 1

Evil_Duncan

How interesting. A succinct and informative article on an engaging and complex subject.


How interesting.

Post 2

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

But it´s also interesting that, in at least DSM-3R (the version of DSM I used during my psychiatry rotation), there was an extemption in the concept of mass illusion if the "idea" was considered as a common religious belief in the surrounding area...

smiley - dragon


How interesting.

Post 3

Connie L

Interesting indeed...

Isn't 'love' a serious and typical type of folie a deux ?

C.L. smiley - diva


How interesting.

Post 4

DrMatt

The DSM basically has a clause that says that if enough people buy into an idea that it becomes part of the person's 'cultural context' then it isn't a delusion.

Stops me going down to Church on Sunday and rounding up all the believers just because I'm an atheist (or vice versa).

And as for love... I remember a couple of Entries that talked about love in terms of madness - one was written very stridently and didn't get through PR, the other one was really interesting and is at A6563964.

Matt


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Transmission of Madness: Folie a Deux and Mass Psychogenic Illness

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more