A Conversation for AIDS HIV - Global Epidemiologic Statistics

Epidemiologic?

Post 1

Abi

Hi Hell

I used to work for a major medical researche funding body and was in charge of the Health Services Research and Epidemiology funding process. I was just wondering why you had chosen to use the word 'epidemiologic', because all the statistics contained in the work we funded referred to them as 'epidemiological' statistics.

smiley - smiley


Epidemiologic?

Post 2

amdsweb

Epidemiologic is a perfectly good word to use. It is a synonym of epidemiological, and also takes less time to type. smiley - tongueout


Epidemiologic?

Post 3

Abi

I'm not listening to you! I want to hear from a proper doctor!smiley - tongueout


Epidemiologic?

Post 4

amdsweb

As opposed to a microbiologic one? smiley - smiley


Epidemiologic?

Post 5

Dr Hell

Hi you smiley - tongueouts...

Good question. I don't think there is a deeper difference. Maybe I am merely more used to reading and using "Epidemiologic" instead of "Epidemiological". Maybe I am just too non-native-English to grasp such linguistic finesses. WOULD there be a difference in your opinion?

I was quite baffled in fact to notice that the reports I cite use "Epidemiological", as you mentioned. I immediatley tried out a Google search to see if there was a significant difference... Negative result. There seem to be many reputed organisations that use "Epidemiologic" as well...

So... I honestly don't know.

HELL


Epidemiologic?

Post 6

Dr Hell

BTW I am not a proper doctor, I am just an ordinary physico-chemist. Before I changed to physical-chemistry (where I still have to deal with virae and cells from time to time) I was working at biochemistry with non proliferating HIV mutants (they get in but don't come out) - The diffusion behaviour of these mutants is currently being characterised by my colleagues, here in p-chem. Questions like: How fast do they infect a cell, how efficiently do they do that, where do they go, which transport mechanism do they use etc. etc...

So, basically, that's a bit of my HIV-related background. Just in case you wanted to know...

HELL


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for AIDS HIV - Global Epidemiologic Statistics

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more