A Conversation for Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Faith restored

Post 1

Just Another Number

Great recipe!

It's nice to know that other people out there appreciate a proper Carbonara, and not these awful "Pasta in Creamy Ham and Mushroom Sauce" concoctions that get paraded as Carbonara in restaurant chains and supermarket chiller cabinets.

Thank you.

(For a change, try a little chopped Milano Salami in there as well as the bacon!)


Faith restored - couldn't agree more

Post 2

GraceK

I agree - a great recipe. It's also nice that this isn't one of the "healthy" versions which seem to consist of ham (no frying), 1 egg (too many's bad for you) and milk with or without cream (innate British fear of dairy products). Such a mixture is not Carbonara.

It's all very well to collect recipes from all round the world but I wish that people wouldn't then come up with 'healthy' versions of them. Make something properly & enjoy it - just eat it less often if you're worried about your weight / cholesterol / other boring issues. Food is not just fuel & how it tastes should be the most important thing.


Faith restored - couldn't agree more

Post 3

GreyDesk

I'm pleased you like it. I agree with your healthy option opinion, this is not a recipe that one would eat every day - now that would be bad for you! I make it probably 8 times a year when the fancy takes me. In between times, I eat loads of salads and other stuff that's good for me, so an occasional indulgence isn't going to cause me any great harm.

My one regret nowadays is that my girlfriend has loads of food allergies and I can't cook these favourite pasta dishes for her. When it comes to Italian all she can have that I do is risotto with pecorino instead of parmesan. Still, I am getting rather good at cooking it now, and it is rather good - perhaps there is another guide entry there for me to do smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more