A Conversation for Great Islands

Orkney

Post 1

Jeny (Professor of Cheesology, Apostrophe Executive)

Orkney is a collection of island off the North East coast of Scotland.
Orkney means Seal Islands in Norse, so calling them the Orkney Islands is a bit redundant.

Not all the islands are inhabited, and some are private. If you travel to Orkney (either by boat or plane), you'll arrive on the main island. There are two main towns here - Kirkwall (the capital) and Stromness. Ferries arrive mainly at Stromness, whereas planes land at Kirkwall airport.

The currency used is British Pounds, and prices are what you'd expect for the UK. Accomodation is relatively cheap (especially out of the main tourist season), and there are lots of hotels, bed and breakfasts, self-catering cottages, campsites etc.

Travel around the island can be accomplished in a number of ways. Public transport can be limited, especially in winter, so a car or bike may come in handy. The mainland at least is relatively flat, so cycling shouldn't be too strenuous. To visit the other islands, you'll need a boat. There are lots of ferries between man of the islands, and you can also fly betweey Westray and Papa Westray.

There are a variety of things to do. There are a vast number of historic (and prehistoric) sites, many of which are worth a visit. The most famous include Skara Brae (a prehistoric village) and Maes Howe (a prehistoric tomb). The Earls and Bishops Palaces in Kirkwall are also in good condition, and very interesting.

There's also Scapa Flow, where the German Fleet was scuttled at the end of the 1st World War. Diving down to the wrecks is popular. You could also go for a drive across the Churchill Barriers, built to prevent the Germans sneaking in and blowing up British ships at dock there.

There is a great deal of wildlife, especially seabirds and seals, and lots of nature reserves.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more