A Conversation for Etiquette for Travellers on the London Underground

On the lethalness of escalators

Post 1

J'au-æmne

I was somewhat perturbed to read the day after the meet whilst waiting for a circle line train at Tower Hill that last year the escalators and stairs caused upwards of 1500 injuries, plus 1 fatality.
I had no idea they could be that dangerous.
The question posed on the poster was "Why aren't you more careful with your long clothes?" or something along those lines.
Because you hadn't told me they could be so dangerous would have been my reply.


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 2

J'au-æmne

Cool entry smiley - smiley

I like the no eye contact thing, I think. I wish the guy who attempted to chat me up on the tube one time would have read this entry first!

Joanna xxx


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 3

J. Nigel Aalst

When I was in London for a semester three years ago, they had loads of posters all over the tube stations about the escalators, and to be careful. I miss the tube. Sure, it's annoying and a large hassle at times, but I'd rather deal with them than deal with parking and car repair bills.


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 4

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

What a fantastic entry. I've lived in London most of my 27 years and have an almost-Jedi sense of balance from riding the Northern Line to school (as regular travellers will know, it's a bit bumpy in places) - and this is desperately needed.

It should, in fact, be packaged with every ticket purchase and passengers refused access to trains until thoroughly tested on all points. Especially the bit about standing on the right.

It always amazes me how dim or just purely inconsiderate you have to be to see everyone on a two-hundred foot escalator stand on the right, and then line up on the left and calmly see all the "Please Stand on the Right" notices drift past every few metres. It might be considered rather extreme by some, but I do think offenders should be shot on sight.


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 5

J'au-æmne

My Grandmother used to get the northern line to school. Way back in the 1920s....

smiley - smiley


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 6

EDF

The one thing that always does me is the sign, 'Dogs must be carried on the escalators.'


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 7

EDF

The one thing that always does me is the sign, 'Dogs must be carried on the escalators.' I waited two and a half hours the other day, could I find a dog, could i f**k!!


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 8

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

In fairness, I still remember the adverts with the child who's welly got sucked into the escalator... So I dont need a special sign telling me it's dangerous. I guess they only covered one generation though (and certainly not tourists..


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 9

Sho - employed again!

crocks are, apparently, dangerous on escalators too

But that will be some kind of darwinism at work since you shouldn't wear crocs outside!


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 10

PonderingStudent

You should see the escalators on the St. Petersburg underground. Long, ridiculously steep and very badly maintained. Vertigo inducing and potentially lethal.


On the lethalness of escalators

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

oh I have, and the ones in Moscow too - scary and thrilling!


Key: Complain about this post