A Conversation for The Answer To The Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe, And Everything

The Ultimate Question...

Post 1

Chiggy

I think we should use the same system the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) people are using to break down the job of looking for non-human signals from space to find the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. They've split up the job of sifting through all the data they collect to thousands of home computers by using a Net-connected number crunching program that disguises itself as a screen saver, only using your computer for SETI@home when you're not. We could cut the job down to as little as three or four million years.


The Ultimate Question...

Post 2

Smiley Ben

...or like distributed.net, which has been going absolutely FOREVER, and has already cracked a number of codes, and proving that American policy on encryption is ridiculous and should be changed....


The Ultimate Question...

Post 3

Smiley Ben

Have you heard?

It's just been revealed that SETI has erroneously been sending out the same packet to users since 24th May!


The Ultimate Question...

Post 4

Spirit of Olias (occasional spectre)

Is it registering everything you send? I've sent back 8 but it's only showing up 3.


The Ultimate Question...

Post 5

Smiley Ben

They've supposedly fixed it by now...


aaaaaaah... which is why you sent that AGES ago....

right...

/me crawls back into a corner...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more