A Conversation for Footnotes on h2g2

Length of footnote

Post 1

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

I am one of those who basically stumbled and blundered his way into an understanding of how footnotes work here. One of the things I noticed is that when reading an entry offline, footnotes still work in MS Internet Explorer, but there is a problem when I use a 'thin' browser such as OffByOne (which I often like to in spite of its limitations). Something to do with Java? But I digress.

I don't necessarily agree that if a footnote is longer than can be read in five seconds it should be in the main body text. I find that five seconds is an arbitrary and rather short time-slot (maybe I should learn to read and understand faster?) and it's often quite appropriate that a technical explanation or comment that is as long as this paragraph, or even a bit longer, should be in a footnote so as not to disrupt the flow of the main text, or bore those who don't require the explanation.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more