A Conversation for Footnotes on h2g2

only applies to IE?

Post 1

Martin Harper

I see the sub-ed researched this one well... smiley - tongueout

A184934

It also works on Netscape 6.1, and will work on later browsers too. I understand from lurking Smiley smiley - geek Ben's postings that it uses a standard tag... smiley - smiley


only applies to IE?

Post 2

Tube - the being being back for the time being

And it workes perfectly in Opera 5.12 and 6. And Opera does not make the box disappear after five seconds. And it also dispays the text at the part of the navigation bar which tells you where a link leads to.


only applies to IE?

Post 3

Jim Lynn

It should probably say 'Doesn't work on Netscape 4 or earlier'. Or something. Is NS6 out of bug-hell yet? I know Mozilla is popular, but I don't know if Netscape have improved over the disastrous 6.0 release.


only applies to IE?

Post 4

Spiff

Sorry about the lack of info on which browsers it works on, folks. Not really a techie but I stumbled on this and wondered whether everyone was using it or not. How easy is it to get a post-last-minute update for that kind of thing?

I'm sure a quick poll would get some info on what browsers do what.

This all sounds a touch precious on re-reading. I am pleading new contributor over-excitement as mitigating circumstances.

Seeya
Spiff


only applies to IE?

Post 5

Tube - the being being back for the time being

'Tis cool, don't worry!
smiley - cheers
Tube


only applies to IE?

Post 6

I'm not really here

It doesn't work in my Opera! Although I'm sure it used to cos I remember telling someone else many smiley - moonsmiley - moonsmiley - moon ago that it did.


only applies to IE?

Post 7

MaW

It works in Galeon, but that's because Galeon's based on Gecko (from Mozilla 0.9.7 in my version) which handles the tooltips very nicely.

This used to be an IE only feature, but now many browsers support it. I believe Konqueror does as well, but I'm too lazy to test it.


only applies to IE?

Post 8

Smiley Ben

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

That is sooooooooooo scary! I read the entry, read the bit that says 'Only works on IE', think 'That's outrageous, it's part of standard HTML', am about to reply and say this, and discover that I apparently vicariously have done so already! smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

Jim: Netscape 6.2.1 supposedly works fine on relatively new machines - it has about a 75% thumbs up rating on download.com, so yeah, out of buggy hell, and AOL should never have released what they did as 6.0.


only applies to IE?

Post 9

ThePixelGuru (MUG, SATS Member)

Those bugs have been officially squished. Netscape 6.2 is fine (and does the cursor-fotnote thing) - I use it when I'm not using Opera (which also does the cursor-footnote thing). As to wondering if holding your cursor over a footnote will make the text appear, try it. If the text appears, hey, it works, and if not, then it probably doesn't. Simple enough, eh? And now, an amusing little story.
I was talking to Strider (Spiff and some others know him) in real life about footnotes to a new user about footnotes. Strider was explaining footnotes to her, and got to the hold-your-cursor-over-it part. I stated that it worked in most browsers do that, but Netscape 4 won't. Strider replied, "Oh, you read Spiff's post, didn't you?" I replied, "Who's Spiff?" He said, "Wait... you just knew that?" Later that night, Strider and I were talking on AIM, and I asked him which iMac he had, early or summer of 2001. He replies that its the midgrade summer 2001, the 500MHz model. That's when I said that, no, he had the early 2001 model, because early 2001 is 400, 500 and 600 MHz (so 500 is the mid) and summer 2001 is 500, 600 and 700MHz (500 is the low grade). I know, I'm a geek. I guess all I'm really trying to say is (to rip off Weird Al) I stopped by to see what this entry he thought it'd quoted was. Well, see you all around!


only applies to IE?

Post 10

MaW

Mozilla is usually better than Netscape 6.x though - it's not got any of the nasty AOL stuff in it, and it's always based on more recent code so is usually faster and has more features in it.


only applies to IE?

Post 11

Smiley Ben

Well, depends what you mean by usually smiley - winkeye

If you want a superb browser, pop by http://www.mozilla.org (gotta love URLs in forums) and download a *milestone*. Whilst the nightly builds (built, er, every night) are a little variable, most of the milestones are rock solid.

Or if you're a little more patient, wait about 6 weeks, and you can get the first proper 'release', which will be granted the official, beautiful, 1.0 label! Hoorah!


only applies to IE?

Post 12

MaW

And you think they'll actually make the 1.0 release on time?

smiley - laugh

I'm waiting to upgrade until then, because every time I change Mozilla I also have to change Galeon.

* hoping for a seperate distribution of Gecko so he can have Galeon without Mozilla at all *


only applies to IE?

Post 13

Smiley Ben

With 1.0, and stable public APIs, there shouldn't be any need for Galeon to change with each release - it's only because the APIs change that new versions of Mozilla break Galeon.


only applies to IE?

Post 14

ThePixelGuru (MUG, SATS Member)

True. I oughtta download that. Yeah, I'm one of those who's still annoyed at the AOL-ness of Netscape. It now kinda has the slowness expected in anything AOL. Oh well, see you around.


only applies to IE?

Post 15

MaW

Whereas Mozilla gets faster with every release, with bugs being fixed they can take the time to optimise the code smiley - ok

* looks forward to Mozilla API stability *


Key: Complain about this post