A Conversation for Rochester Castle, Kent, UK

"Through the streets of Rochester" was written by Pete Coe, it is not the "original" song giving its tune to "Waltzing Matilda"

Post 1

ecadre

The words referenced in the article are from a song written in the 1970's by Pete Coe.

"Soldier for Marlborough, soldier for Marlborough Who'll be a soldier for Marlborough with me? He sang as he walked upon the cobbled streets of Rochester. Who'll be a soldier for Marlborough with me?"

The tune to the song "Waltzing Matilda" is attributed to "Banjo" Jack Patterson, through having been noted down and arranged by others.

The song known as "The Rochester Recruiting Sergeant" or "Through the streets of Rochester" was written by Pete Coe, apparently inspired by a fragment of a parody on "Waltzing Matilda" collected in Australia I understand in the 1950's.

The song "Through the streets of Rochester" does not preceed "Waltzing Matilda" having been written in the 1970's, and the tune is original to the song "Waltzing Matilda".

More details? Try a web search, these details are not hard to find. I've heard Pete Coe sing the song and attribute it.

I could not see a way of editing the original article, so, will someone correct it?


"Through the streets of Rochester" was written by Pete Coe, it is not the "original" song giving its tune to "Waltzing Matilda"

Post 2

DogManStar

Thanks for posting - I'd never heard of the Pete Coe song, and it certainly throws more light on the subject. I'm still going to have a rummage around though, as the version I credited here is generally accepted to be true. Although, of course, 'generally accepted' does not me 'definite'!


Key: Complain about this post

"Through the streets of Rochester" was written by Pete Coe, it is not the "original" song giving its tune to "Waltzing Matilda"

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more