A Conversation for HR Giger - Artist

Giger Bar, Gruyère, Switzerland.

Post 1

Evil_Duncan

I went to Switzerland this summer and spent a couple of hours in Gruyère. Unfortunately I didn't have have time to visit the Giger Museum, but I did make a point of having a drink in the Giger Bar across the street. It was a rather strange experience; on a bright summer day it's easy to look at the chairs made of "bone" and the alienesque organic lights from a rational perspective, but I imagine that when the sun goes down (and after a couple of beers) it can be an extremely scary place to be.

Gruyère itself is a lovely little medieval castle village; it's very picturesque and the views are quite amazing. The Giger Bar and Museum seem somewhat out of place, but apparently Giger took quite a shine to the place and lived there for a while.

One other word of warning, the place is crawling with tourists so try to get there as early as you can to avoid the worst of the rush.


Giger Bar, Gruyère, Switzerland.

Post 2

Cardi

Grrrrr why didn't I read this article 6 months ago..I was in Chur at the beginning of August 2005 and didn't even know about the bar, I'd have definately gone in it if I'd known! POO smiley - smiley


Giger Bar, Gruyère, Switzerland.

Post 3

Evil_Duncan

I visited Geneva and Gruyère (amongst other places) towards the end of July 2005. Wish I'd had time to go round the museum, it sounds delightfully grotesque.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more