The Sacred Act of Statistics: A Decennial Reflection

1 Conversation

Counting people must be hard work

I have just done a really patriotic thing. I am still glowing with the pride of it. Okay, okay, if you don't do it, federal marshals could theoretically come and get you, and you'd probably be haunted forever by the Spirit of '76 – or in my case, my Revolutionary War ancestors, who didn't haul all those supplies over to Valley Forge for nothing – but hey, let me bask a little. After all, I have performed what the official form itself refers to as a "burden". Right there, in black and white, right before it tells you that you are allowed to complain to the Paperwork Reduction Project. Best of all for a patriotic duty, it only took the statutory ten minutes. (All right, Elektra helped me with the hard words.)

I have just filled out the 2010 Census Report. Stop laughing. This "burden", this duty, is enshrined in the US Ever-Lovin' Constitution. Knee-britcheted Founders with lots on their mind back in 1787 took quill pens in hand and decreed, mind you, that every ten years, this country would be counted – to the last man, woman, and child. So counted it shall be, in saecula saeculorum1, Amen.

I tuned into the government's website (just to make sure I wasn't violating any Official Secrets Act by sharing this information with The Enemy) and found a thrilling video in which a highly-placed bureaucrat points proudly to a James Madison-generated ink stain on the wooden floor, and asserts without blushing that this ink was spilled during the writing of the Virginia Plan2. So I am replete with history.

I know what else I am replete with, thank you, so stop sniggering in the back row. It isn't becoming.

Part of the reason for this obsessive and, one might think, premature fascination with demographic data was the almighty fight they had to get the Constitution written in the first place. You see, the old Articles of Confederation didn't work at all – just try running a government when you can't collect taxes3, see where that gets you – and something had to be done before they tore the place down. (We'd just won a war against the mightiest power in the known universe4, and now we were free but broke, partly due to printing cardboard money5.) Now even the diehards – all except that blowhard Pat "Give-Me-Liberty" Henry – were ready to admit we needed a document with some muscle in it6. Especially poor old George Washington, who was sick and tired of waiting for somebody to show up to work in Congress and pass a law or two.

But as they laboured on the sub-, infra-, and superstructure of the planet's first experiment at proving John Locke right, they got into a lot of arguments. It was hot in Philadelphia – so what else was new? – and having the windows nailed shut for security didn't exactly help tempers.

The main problem was representation: the big states thought they ought to count heads and be proportional (of course), while the little states like Rhode Island thought they ought to get the same vote (of course). Finally, somebody smart from Connecticut came up with the brilliant idea of the bicameral legislature, and bob's-yer-uncle, they could get out of the heat.

As long as they could count.

So in 1790, they did. They counted everybody in the place, from cobblestoned town to rough wilderness. It took the marshals eighteen months and a lot of persuading of suspicious farmers. They came up with a number: 3,929,214. Of those, almost exactly half were 16 and under. Wow. Young country – or a dangerous one.

Since then, rain or shine, they've been counting people every ten years, regular as clockwork. This is even more remarkable when you consider that the first census to use an adding machine – it's what they had before computers, my dear – was in 1890. Americans were astounded when it only took six months to count everybody up. But then they refused to believe the number, anyway.

The data are so sacred, so sacrosanct, that:

  • The census takers, even though they are part-time workers earning a lousy salary, have to take an oath to protect confidentiality, and
  • Even the FBI can't get in there.

This year's census is the shortest ever – only ten questions. Basically, who are you, when were you born, how old are you (just to make sure you can count, I guess), do you live here all the time, are you Hispanic?, and what race are you? (Being Hispanic is a Big Deal, and is broken down by country). Also, how many people are in the house, is it a house, apartment, or mobile home (I guess a tent would be mobile), and what's your phone number in case we don't understand an answer? I am disappointed. I thought they'd ask me something else. Oh, well. Whew. Done, done, and done. Mail it, and get a chuckle out of the original envelope's "Your Response Is Required by Law".

Okay, okay, you don't have to come and get me, Feds. Just as my great-great-great-grandfather did, back when Tennessee was a frontier (I've seen the facsimile pages online), I answered my census questions. I even remembered to "use blue or black ink".

The spreadsheet-spangled banner – long may she wave.

Blue or black ink, please

Fact and Fiction by Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.08.10 Front Page

22.03.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1No, that doesn't mean "New World Order", that's on the dollar bill along with the Masonic thingies.2As those of us Hootooers with museum experience will tell you, this Telling Detail goes down well with the punters, but is probably Bogus.3"Dear North Carolina, How would you like to send us $4 million by return post to help pay the war debts? Hugs and kisses, George Washington." I think not.4No, not the BBC. Their predecessors, the British Empire.5Which the perfidious British, gasp, counterfeited. How low can you sink? When we get inclined to be self-congratulatory, please remember that a) I am descended from people so dumb they printed cardboard money, and b) You are probably descended from people so lacking in taste as to counterfeit cardboard money.6Henry was invited to help with the paperwork in Philly. He declined, saying that he "smelt a rat in Philadelphia". We think that was a mean thing to say about the cooking in the City Tavern.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A65249085

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more