A Conversation for The SETI@Home Project

SETI@home scaled back

Post 1

lava_rock

http://bitsofnews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3089

SETI@Home is being partially replaced December 15 by "molecular biology, high-energy physics, and climate change study." The volunteer data processing will go to those subjects. While less interesting, they are of more immmediate use.

Apparently it is being phased out slowly, because you can still dedicate processor power to SETI, but it will not always have raw data to send to your computer. On http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ there is a link titled:

'Keep your computer busy when SETI@home has no work - participate in other BOINC-based projects.'

My guess would be that SETI's percent share of the radio dish's time has lessened. Other groups use the same dish a certain amount of the time. It used to be something like 30%.


SETI@home scaled back

Post 2

xyroth

my guess would be that improved computer power has caused them problems. it did last time.

They were getting so much time that they added many more tests to the data being collected to look for more possibilities.

It is possible they have reached the limit to the information they can extract from the available signals.


Key: Complain about this post

SETI@home scaled back

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more