A Conversation for Classic Sporting Moments

2000 Superbowl

Post 1

broelan

The 2000 Superbowl (American football) between the St. Louis Rams and the Tennessee Titans is a game I will never forget. The Rams had spent the previous four years in St. Louis solidly holding down the bottoms of the ranks, turning in one dismal performance after another.

The beginning of the 1999-2000 season looked promising for the Rams, but a pre-season injury sidelined the quarterback that would have been their savior. Stepping up to fill in the season was Kurt Warner. No one had many hopes for the season, but then the strangest thing happened: The Rams were winning games.

Making their way through the playoffs, each round bringing them closer to an impossible goal. At the beginning of the season the Rams were the longest shot for a Superbowl show. But it was happening.

I hate football. I don't understand it, I can't follow it, it's just not hockey. But it was just impossible to ignore the Rams that year. My boyfriend was having his annual Superbowl party (a first for me) and all our friends and families were there. I will never forget the feeling of watching the impossible happen. With seconds left in the game, Tennessee failed to score a final touchdown, making the Rams the winners.

I don't remember the score, I don't remember how much they won by, who scored. What I do remember is the scream that erupted, not only in our apartment but throughout the apartment building, when Tennessee failed to cross the goal line in that final run. One single season had seen the Rams go from last place long shots to first place Superbowl champions.


Key: Complain about this post

2000 Superbowl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more