A Conversation for Tips for Buying a Computer

Desktop publishing

Post 1

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

If you're thinking of getting into the world of desktop publishing, Macintosh is the way to go.

Hardware

• Computer: I would recommend nothing older than a PowerMac 7300. The PowerMac will read PC or Mac disks, usually has a CD drive already installed, and is fast enough to deal with process color. They're pretty easy to find in the classifieds. Quite often they'll have programs/applications on the hard drives that can come in handy - save you some bucks, too. I don't recommend going to a Mac store to buy a used Mac. Although they will make sure that it runs properly, they will also remove all the programs and most likely reformat the hard drive, so that all you'll get is a Mac with the current system software. If you're wanting something a little newer and more compatible with current systems, the i-Macs are pretty nifty - the cheapest one ($794 U.S.) runs on a 500 Mhz G3 processor with 64 MB of ram, and comes with a CD rom drive. If you get an i-Mac, I recommend getting a USB hub to add more ports, especially if you want a scanner and a storage device.

• Storage Device: While being able to burn a CD to give to your customer looks pretty classy, it's not very cost effective. I recommend a 100 or 250 MB Zip drive. They range in price from $60 to $150 U.S. You can also get external hard drives to add more storage space. You won't need it on an i-Mac, but the PowerMac has a small hard drive by today's standards.

• Scanners: You have to ask yourself whether your work will require a scanner. If you have web access, logos and artwork can be downloaded from customer websites. If you need clip art, there are many stock photography websites available. But if you need a scanner, it's possible to get a good one without spending a lot of money. If you have a pre-USB port computer, then you have a good chance of finding a used scanner. Check your classifieds and your local Mac store for leads. New USB scanners are remarkably inexpensive - a ScanMaker from Microtek is $149 U.S., and produces good-quality pictures.

• Graphics tablets, trackballs, and other gimmicks: While these might look interesting and fun to play with, in my experience a good mouse is the way to go. The new optical mice are extremely efficient, very precise, and can be used anywhere without needing a mouse pad. Most Macs are sold with a compact keyboard; I would recommend getting an extended keyboard with a number pad on the right. This keeps your hands from getting cramped.

• Modem - While the i-Mac comes with a modem, the PowerMac will require an external modem. A 52k modem will be around $60 U.S. I prefer Netscape over Internet Explorer when browsing the web; Explorer will read 'trash' commands and slow down the system when loading pages. Netscape can be purchased over the net or from your local Mac store.

Software

Publishing software for the Mac is pretty expensive, and most of it's made by Adobe. Which is why if you can find a Mac in the classifieds with these programs on it, purchase it quickly! The advantage to purchasing the programs from the companies is that you can buy upgrades when they come out, for much less than the original - and if your hard drive goes down, you can reinstall with very little trouble. However, if you're purchasing a PowerMac, the chances of your hard drive crashing before you decide to upgrade the computer are slim (not impossible - so always back up your system!)

Necessary software:
• Quark XPress - the best publishing program around. A new copy of Quark XPress is around $788 U.S.
• Adobe Illustrator - (a vector-based illustration program) $388 U.S.
• Adobe Photoshop - (raster image/photo manipulation program) $598 U.S.
• If you have some cash to play with, I would recommend purchasing the Adobe Publishing Collection. This package includes Photoshop, Acrobat (for sending PDFs), Illustrator, and Pagemaker. Pagemaker is another publishing program that isn't as versatile as Quark XPress, but is capable of getting things done. Quark used to offer a competitive upgrade from Pagemaker for around $200, and if they still do, this is ideal for the budding desktop publisher who wishes to save some money. Since purchasing all these programs would be over $2000 U.S., $1200 is not unreasonable.
• Typestyler - Text shaper and effects creator $128 U.S.
• Extensis Suitcase - Keeps your computer from slowing down when you want to have more than ten fonts in your system. It allows you to add fonts temporarily to your system and close it when they're no longer needed. It also allows you to have several different font sets that can be opened on startup, but aren't in your system folder.
• A good virus program - Virex, Norton Utilities, and MacAfee all produce good virus detectors. Recent is better than used in this case. Macintosh has a much lower occurrence of viruses than the Microsoft platform computers; I suspect this is because there are many more happy ex-employees of Macintosh. But even accidental viruses can develop, so make sure you have a good virus protection program installed.


Desktop publishing

Post 2

tdbiii

Aah yes, buy an Apple.

Even if it is just a computer for at home, playing on the internet, working in Word, playing games etc. Go for a mac, easy setup (i.e. none) no/less cables, always works, never crashes and best of all looks good!


Desktop publishing

Post 3

Sprinks Leda

you can't upgrade mac hardware particularly well. So while it's cheap it comes with traps. Very few people make software for its OS so you end up paying for things that could have been remarkably cheap. And then there are programs that are common but won't run on it so you're screwed again. I know adobe make interesting gadgets but I suspect not always altogether useful ones. But if you want a pretty colourful computer get a mac.


Desktop publishing

Post 4

tdbiii

Well you can upgrade a mac just like any other computer! Want a bigger harddrive plug it in! No problem with that!
Most programs that run on widows are also made for the mac. Notable examples are Microsoft Office, Maya, Age of Emprires, The Sims, Tony Hawk 2 etc. Some programs were actually first made for the mac and later ported to windows (i.e. most adobe porgrams).
But yes macs are colourful, but also stylish but most of all:

COOL


Desktop publishing

Post 5

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Lentilla, since when was burning a CD less cost-effective? My last pack of 100 80-minute CDs worked out at 17 pence each; the last ZIP disk I bought cost me over six pounds. It's only a matter of time before your client either "misplaces" or trashes your ZIP disk, assuming, of course, they have a ZIP drive in the first place, and my £17-worth of CDs can hold the same as 800 standard ZIP disks! Also, having incremental versions of a project on different CDs makes for a good way of backtracking if you find the client doesn't like the way things are going... smiley - smiley


Desktop publishing

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Another tip, while I remember... You don't always need the newest version of a piece of software to be productive. Lentilla mentions scanners, but what she didn't mention was the fact that the more expensive scanners often come with good software bundles! I have seen cases where spending an extra $30 ($50?) on a scanner will get you a copy of Photoshop v5 and a decent page layout application, for example! smiley - ok

Also, if you are just starting out on web design, various magazines have been carrying full copies of Macromedia Dreamweaver v1.2 for both Mac and PC - it's perfectly useable.

Finally, on the software front, a good trick I've found for legally getting the latest software cheap is to search the "remaindered" pile of your local computer store for a (sealed) copy of a much older version of the software you need, buy it for pennies and register it, then legitimately take up the manufacturer's generous "upgrade pricing"... smiley - biggrin


Desktop publishing

Post 7

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Usually the version of Photoshop that comes with a scanner is Photoshop LE (limited edition) which will allow you to touch-up photos, but isn't a full version - no effects, no special tools, etc. Keep your eyes open when you see a deal like that - the most current version of Photoshop is 5.5, and if you can get the full version for only $60 more, definitely jump on it!

Peet - you're quite right about finding older versions, then purchasing upgrades... it's also possible to find programs in used bookstores and play the same trick - most upgrades only require a valid serial number.

Somebody mentioned burning CD's vs. Zips... It all depends on how much business you do out of your home. I currently use Zips for my freelance customers, because they're my friends, and I know where to find them when I need my Zip back. I can't afford the cost of a CD burner; the CD's themselves are not that expensive. Eventually I'll save up enough money for an i-Mac (ah, the plan reveals itself!) and I'll probably invest in a CD burner at that point. Until then I do just fine with Zip disks, because I can erase them and fill them with new information - almost infinitely reusable. With CD's, the information is burnt once, then cannot be erased. Permanent information is a fine thing, but if the file has an error (human or electronic) then you'll have to burn another CD... and another... etc.


Desktop publishing

Post 8

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Mac hardware does upgrade pretty well. A PowerMac can be upgraded to a G3 pretty easily - all you have to do is get the new processor and pop it in.

The only recent software problem that I've had is that Quark 3.3 won't run on system 9.

I love the Mac, and use it for just about everything but playing games. For that, I like the Playstation - easy access, and I can sit in front of the TV.


Desktop publishing

Post 9

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

BTW: I'm pretty leery of any desktop application except for Quark. I've tried many over the years, and nothing comes close. It has more functions than anything else I've encountered, and a keyboard command for almost everything - which makes production a lot faster than the average layout program. I spent two years building a school newspaper in Pagemaker on a Mac Classic (8x8" screen!) so I've learned the benefits of efficiency!

Before you invest in any layout program, familiarize yourself with it if possible. I prefer functions that are intuitively placed (being a right-brained thinker) and *lots* of keyboard commands to cut down the mouse time. Like anything else, go with what you're comfortable with.


Desktop publishing

Post 10

tdbiii

Well Photoshop is now on version 6.
Illustrator is on 9 with 10 coming out this month.
Indesign (quark but made by adobe) is on version 2, it should be a great enhancement (compared to 1.0 which was useless) and is a lot cheaper then Quark Xpress. It is also very finely integrated into Illustrator/Go Live/Photoshop etc.

Quark is on 4 (?) but a new version will also come out soon.


Desktop publishing

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Lentilla, as far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong) the LE version of Photoshop still accepts all standard Photoshop plugin filters, so there's no reason to go short of effects... For example, I just got the full version of Eye Candy 3.1 off a magazine coverdisc... smiley - smiley

Indesign is pretty cool - it's a combination of Pagemaker and Illustrator in a single package. I used to be a big Pagemaker fan, but have to admit that I was converted to Quark when I did a graphic design course a couple of years ago. (Ironically, that's how I came to be on the Guide - we were allowed to surf the web in our breaks, and at the time I didn't have a connection at home...!)


Desktop publishing

Post 12

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

I've never gotten a version of Photoshop LE, so I can't say for certain - but since it's offered free with a scanner and the original is priced exorbitantly, I always assumed that it wasn't the full version. I guess the best advice is to check and make sure it's the whole thing.

Indesign is supposed to be pretty nifty, but I'm pretty loyal to Quark. I know where everything is, and I'm comfortable in it. I guess if I got a free copy I'd play around with it!


Desktop publishing

Post 13

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

From what I've heard, LE is missing the high-end colour management features that are used by professional print houses, only runs on a single processor and doesn't come bundled with 3rd party plug-ins or "ImageReady", as the full version does. (i.e. no optimised "save for web" feature - not such a big problem, as there are several free GIF and JPEG optimisers online.)

"Photoshop Elements" is available seperately, at a retail price designed to compete with the likes of Paint Shop PRO and the Serif equivalent - US$99, or US$69 if you're a registered owner of Photoshop LE. It falls between LE and a full copy of Photoshop in terms of features, and comes with a good upgrade price offer, too... smiley - ok

"Elements" and "LE" both default to a "wizard-based" front end which doesn't exist in "real" Photoshop, though I'm told this can be disabled. For beginners, this might make them a more attractive option than the full package... smiley - smiley

My info on these packages comes from a few magazine reviews and the blurb on the back of a copy of "Elements" I saw on a shelf in PC World - having a full copy of Photoshop I've never felt the urge to actually try them. smiley - tongueout


Desktop publishing

Post 14

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

That's good to know - thanks! I've got a full copy of Photoshop, but it came on the machine and I don't own the disk. And it's old.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more