A Conversation for Post-Traumatic Stress Related Triggers

PTSD

Post 1

Ellen

This article really rang true for me. I've had PTSD since 1993. It's especially bad in the Spring, but it gets a little better every year. Thanks for the article and the links, I'll check some of them out.


PTSD

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I wonder if there's a link between PTSD and phobias? They happen often following a strong event, which acts as a trigger.

I saw some very powerful work to overcome this in an NLP training session, where spiders and snakes were used. I saw a demonstration of a spider phobia being removed in about 20 minutes and then the woman just wanted to hold the tarantula (to make sure she was really over it).

Although I only had a mild dislike, I got to hold the tarantula as well (called Octavia >, and she was lovely.

smiley - peacedove
ZSF


PTSD

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I wonder if there's a link between PTSD and phobias? They happen often following a strong event, which acts as a trigger.

I saw some very powerful work to overcome this in an NLP training session, where spiders and snakes were used. I saw a demonstration of a spider phobia being removed in about 20 minutes and then the woman just wanted to hold the tarantula (to make sure she was really over it).

Although I only had a mild dislike, I got to hold the tarantula as well (smiley - wow called Octavia smiley - cool, and she was lovely.

smiley - peacedove
ZSF


PTSD

Post 4

Ormondroyd

What a great story! Cured by an eight-legged therapist! smiley - oksmiley - spider


PTSD

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

It was really interesting to see. As soon as the word spider was mentioned - several people got up and ran from the room. A woman sitting in front of me sat with tears smiley - wah streaming down her eyes and was advised to leave while the demonstration was in place.

When they mentioned snakes after the one woman was enabled to hold the spider, several more people ran from the room.

Me, I feel more confident about picking them up now, and I did like Octavia! smiley - cool

smiley - peacedove
ZSF


PTSD

Post 6

David Conway

Hi JEllenJ42.

I didn't mean to ignore you for five weeks. Honest. I just neglected to subscribe to conversations associated with the entry. So now, today, five weeks later, I see your comments. Sheesh. A genius, I am (not).

Anyhow, I'm glad you liked it and I hope you found the links helpful.

NBY


PTSD

Post 7

David Conway

Hi ZSF.

Same apology/disclaimer as on my previous post. PTSD/Phobia connection. IMHO, absolutely.

I know a person who is terrified of bats. If a movie includes a scene with a bat, she can get through it, barely, if she knows in advance when the scene is coming. Moths have the same kind of erratic flight pattern as bats, so they're scarey, too. Butterflies are just 'moths in drag'. Them too.

Part of this person's PTSD relates to experiences with, can you guess? Bats. Only part. Still, this unusually brave woman has her phobias, linked directly to PTSD.

NBY


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more