A Conversation for Tea

Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 1

Researcher 25958

Douglas , May I beg to remind you that you forgot one quintecentially important ingredient to a good cup of tea, A really good Digestive Biscuit , You have made it clear that a Real Cup of Tea is a completely different thing to that made by most ( American or English ), But without a Digestive Biscuit then Tea is far Too Wet , Plus there is the very English and Precise Art of Dunking the Biscuit , A sill that takes many years of devoted practice and an unshakeable love for Tea and Biscuits. Of course the Digestive should be Golden in colour , with a Dry Taste and Crumbly Texture, not so crumbly that it breaks or dissolves on first being dunked, but not so hard that it can't absorb the tea. The timing of the dunk is of course all important, too long causing disaster and leaving a horrible mess in the bottom of the cup, too short and the buiscuit does not achieve the consistancy or flavour required.
Taking into account all that I have said can You please ammend your article and cover this serious ommition with instruction on The Perfect Dunking Digestive !!!


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 2

Luny

I agree, the whole concept of biscuit dunking is an artform.
For instances, chocolate digestives should be broken in half and folded so the chocolate is on the inside. This stops the chocolate from running all over your fingers.
Some biscuits, such as the custard cream, can be dunked and consumed whole.
Some cannot be dunked, such as the pink wafer type found in tins of mixed bisctuis. They just get too soggy and don't taste very nice.
For small cups, nibble a small amount from the edge of large biscuits to allow the biscuit to be dunked without breaking.


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 3

Spock

Digestive biscuits are fine for dunking in your tea but they are not a patch on ginger biscuits. Be careful though as the dunking time is much shorter.


The Ultimate Decadent Dunk

Post 4

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Serious dunkers only - try this one
Chocolate Tim Tams - 2 chocolate flavoured biscuits, rectangular shaped, with chocolate cream filling between - then all dipped in thick milk chocolate
The Ultimate Dunk is executed by biting the chocolate from both (short) ends of the Tim Tam thus revealimg the biscuit and filling.
One end is then lowered into the coffee, tea or (for chocaholics) hot chocolate and the liquid is sucked into the biscuit, using the biscuit as a straw.
Then quickly eat the Tim Tam before it collapses and savour the moment - bliss!!!
NOTE: There is a certain art in all this, but perfecting the art with practice is a great excuse to indulge!!!


The Bourbon cream dunk

Post 5

Bluebottle

There are many ways to dunk a Bourbon, and believe me I've tried them all. By far the best way is to firstly ease the two halves of the bourbon apart, ensuring that an equal layer of cream is left on both halfs. Then, resisting both the temptation to scrape all the cream off with your teeth or nibbling round the edges of the cream, but stay firm to the ultimate plan and you will be rewarded.
And now for the dunk!
You carefully ease the digestive in, keeping a strong grip on the side and not smudging the cream, and then you wait for the chocolate cream to melt. This should happen before the biscuit gets too soggy. Then, when the cream has melted, consume the biscuit with a ravid passion, and you are sure to be rewarded.
Not only will you enjoy the experience, it enhances the flavour of the tea as well.
WARNING
NEVER buy Happy Shopper Tea bags, or you will drink a fish.
smiley - fish


The Bourbon cream dunk

Post 6

Bluebottle

Erm, okay, so I got a little carried away there - old habbit. You know what I meant.

smiley - smiley


The Ultimate Decadent Dunk

Post 7

I am a name not a number

The biting the ends off and sucking works with Cadbury's Chocolate Finger biscuits too.
Yum.
Although you can get some funny looks in business meetings...


The Ultimate Decadent Dunk

Post 8

Bluebottle

Has anyone tried to dunk a chocolate gateaux?


The Ultimate Decadent Dunk

Post 9

Researcher 25958

Now there's a thought, How about a Black Forrest Gatteux


The Ultimate Decadent Dunk

Post 10

Cakewalker

Does anyone here read New Scientist? They mentioned something this week that may interest you. Len Fisher was awarded the Ig Nobel Prize in Physics for optimum biscuit dunk time analysis. Have a look on guide entry A192449 for further details.


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 11

Original Jackrabbit (OJR)

In response to the statement that a good cup of tea is not complete without a digestive biscuit, I say codswallop! (or something to that effect). A digestive is a difficult biscuit to maneuvre, especially for beginners. A good Rich Tea biscuit is surprisingly absorbant while able to be neglected in tea for up to 30 seconds. Also, in this modern age of choice why can't an Englishman enjoy 'real' tea without, say, a chocolate Hob Nob or a ginger nut. I just want the tea drinking public to evaluate their biscuit before dunking, you may find a better alternative.


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 12

Cakewalker

I'll probably get thrown out of this forum for saying this, but has anyone, perchance, tried drinking tea pure and unsullied? I don't mind discussing for hours the optimum dunking biscuit, but perhaps we should have a pure-tea day once a year to remind us of our boiled-leaves roots. Perhaps we could even omit milk smiley - smiley


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 13

Cakewalker

I'll probably get thrown out of this forum for saying this, but has anyone, perchance, tried drinking tea pure and unsullied? I don't mind discussing for hours the optimum dunking biscuit, but perhaps we should have a pure-tea day once a year to remind us of our boiled-leaves roots. Perhaps we could even omit milk smiley - smiley


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 14

Cakewalker

I'll probably get thrown out of this forum for saying this, but has anyone, perchance, tried drinking tea pure and unsullied? I don't mind discussing for hours the optimum dunking biscuit, but perhaps we should have a pure-tea day once a year to remind us of our boiled-leaves roots. Perhaps we could even omit milk smiley - smiley


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 15

Cakewalker

I'll probably get thrown out of this forum for saying this, but has anyone, perchance, tried drinking tea pure and unsullied? I don't mind discussing for hours the optimum dunking biscuit, but perhaps we should have a pure-tea day once a year to remind us of our boiled-leaves roots. Perhaps we could even omit milk smiley - smiley


Digestive Biscuits a Serious Ommission

Post 16

Bluebottle

Oi! Cakewalker!
I'm going to throw you out this forum!


Key: Complain about this post