A Conversation for Tea

American tea

Post 1

Fluffer

I fully concur with all Douglas's statements on this subject, aside from his inexplicable liking for Earl Grey, a revolting perfumed concoction. Substitute either Darjeeling or Assam, however, and all is well.

Anyway, to the nub: I too had despaired of being served decent tea in America, until I stayed in Boston (ironically). I like a good cup of tea before retiring for the night, but my B&B had no facilities for making one's own. Just around the corner on Massachusetts Avenue, however, was an establishment where, on returning late at night from a restaurant or the Symphony, I could order a tea to go, and it would be made by placing a tea bag in a large paper cup, pouring on *boiling* water out of a boiler, adding *fresh* milk (oh joy! - not sterilised, or "creamer", or "whitener", but proper, fresh milk) and sealing it with a plastic cover. On arrival back at my digs, the bag could be removed with the complimentary plastic stirrer provided, leaving the tea still piping hot and the strength perfect. Bliss.

The name of this heavenly establishment? Dunkin' Donuts.


Key: Complain about this post

American tea

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more