A Conversation for Tea

Tea without a teapot.

Post 21

Dark Side of the Goon

Needs must when the Devil drives...
here's a method for making kettleless and potless tea that worked rather well for me.

Take one field and place in it one tent. If you can contrive to spend rather longer than you had intended setting the tent up and further contrive to make a bit of a hash of it, so much the better.

Rescue your primus stove and a small, battered saucepan from your luggage. Pour water into the pan until it is 3/4 full. Add two teabags and then light the primus stove.
Watch in horror as the primus goes out. Attempt to relight. Fail, and realise that you have run out of gas. Send your girlfriend off across the unfamiliar site to see if the local shop sells gas.
During this time, feed your dogs.

On the return of your partner, screw the gas cylinder into the primus stove the wrong way and freeze at least two of your fingers to the metal.
After thawing out, light the now fixed primus and pop the saucepan on. You will notice that, by this time, the tea has thoroughly infused and now only needs to be heated. Remove the teabags as the water begins to simmer and then pour into cups as it comes to the boil.

The result is a surprisingly mellow and relaxing cup of tea, best enjoyed gazing out over Devonshire.


Tea without a teapot.

Post 22

Iohnny cCmndhd

i came up with a nifty way of getting around the pot or not to pot question. i carry around a mason jar with me everywhere to boil the water in and at least one teabag(sorry purists, but it really is more convenient for those of us on the go)to brew. simply boil the water in any handy microwave (or open flame or open nuclear reactor, whatever you have to hand) add bag screw on top, swish, let steep, squeeze bag and enjoy. allows perfect boiling water, aerration and drinking aparatus in one. i'm American, so any of you who have fetishes about teacups and saucers, i both know the taboo that this creats, and am at the same time am immune to your scorn. ha ha ha.
until i write again
Mr. Ccmndbh


Tea without a teapot.

Post 23

Iohnny cCmndhd

i came up with a nifty way of getting around the pot or not to pot question. i carry around a mason jar with me everywhere to boil the water in and at least one teabag(sorry purists, but it really is more convenient for those of us on the go)to brew. simply boil the water in any handy microwave (or open flame or open nuclear reactor, whatever you have to hand) add bag screw on top, swish, let steep, squeeze bag and enjoy. allows perfect boiling water, aerration and drinking aparatus in one. i'm American, so any of you who have fetishes about teacups and saucers, i both know the taboo that this creats, and am at the same time am immune to your scorn. ha ha ha.
until i write again
Mr. Ccmndbh


Tea without a teapot.

Post 24

Researcher 219091

Reading this thread has reaffirmed how absolutely adorable we English are.


Tea without a teapot.

Post 25

3pickledwalnuts

Tea made in a cup is a sad thing, even if sometimes we all have to resort to it. smiley - sadfacesmiley - space
And adding milk to the tea afterwards is really a mortal sin, if unavoidable (never have milk in first then add the tea then the hot water – this doesn’t work if you want anything drinkable)

An alternative is to use only milk, this near-boiled and if possible frothed before pouring on the tea(bag) in the cup. Alternatively you could put the tea in the pan/jug when you heat the milk.
These methods approximate to tea as made in some Middle-East countries (then with added honey) and India (then with added cardamom seeds and maybe some fresh ginger or other spice), and can taste delicious if done well. smiley - tongueout


Tea without a teapot.

Post 26

3pickledwalnuts

Hi Mrs Vsmiley - spacesmiley - smiley
Sorry if this shocks you again, but I think fruit-flavoured black teas taste good with milk à la English style, particularly flavours like cherry and maracuja. It's got to still be black tea, it doesn't work with a pure fruit tea.

Makes you feel fresh and young! If you already are f+y, it'll make you zippy too!
Give it a try. Add a spoonful of loose black tea if you're hesitant.
Just close your eyes, think of the Angel of the North, and drink smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more