A Conversation for How to Enjoy a Mango

Limes and Mangoes

Post 1

FG

Lime juice absolutely brings out the best flavor in mangoes--they're my favorite fruit, so I have had a lot of experience with this. Just squirt a lime over your sliced mango (I use the cross-hatch method myself) and enjoy! Another great way to enjoy the two together is in homemade sorbet.

Lime and Mango Sorbet
In a blender or food processor puree the flesh of four mangoes and the juice of three limes. Add 1 cup of simple syrup (1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar boiled together on the stove for 5 minutes) and a dash of salt and puree some more. Pour into your ice-cream maker, mix, freeze, and devour! It's yummy, yummy, yummy!!!


Limes and Mangoes

Post 2

stragbasher

Yep, me too am a lime with my mango fan.

There is, however, another method of eating mango which is probably the messiest and most fun:

Hold the mango by the base in one hand and grasp the knife with the other. Make an incision about one third of the way up the mango which goes up to the top and down the other side. Rotate fruit a quarter turn and repeat so that when viewed from above the mango has four cuts forming a cross. Peel the four flaps of skin back, add lime, and then cram as much as you can of the revealed flesh into your mouth.

To really impress the people around you with your natural gusto you should take care to slurp and dribble as much as possible. You're going to make a mess anyway, so enjoy it and, er, make a meal out of it. Use your incisors to scrape the flesh off the rind, nibble at the stone to get as much stringy stuff as you can stuck between your teeth, and concentrate on actually separating the stone from the remaining flesh by sucking it into your mouth.

After sucking it clean you can spit it out and bury your face in the remaining flesh, which makes an enticing target as it sits nestled in it's four 'leaves' of rind - now resting in the cupped palms of both hands. Lovely! The whole process takes slightly less than a minute once you become an adept, and is a great way to impress a date.

After finishing it is a good idea to wash your face as your cheeks will be all gooey and sticky with mango juice.

Then you can sit back and impress the people around you with a discourse on evolution and the question of how did a fruit that can only be eaten with the aid of a knife ever evolve naturally.

Enjoy


Limes and Mangoes

Post 3

Dancer (put your advert here)

I'll have to try that sometime.

Main problem is that there's verry little distinction between limes and lemons in Israel smiley - erm

smiley - hsif
Dancer


Limes and Mangoes

Post 4

FG

Stragbasher--I've seen that method before. A friend's iguana eats her mango like that. It's pretty impressive. smiley - winkeye

I would have thought with modern methods of food production and shipping lemons and limes are available in all countries connected with the great web of capitalism. Why are there no distinctions between the two in Israel?


Limes and Mangoes

Post 5

Dancer (put your advert here)

Israel grows lemons in verry high quality, and exports a huge lots og them all over the world, the same is for oranges, grapefruites and all of their kind, EXCEPT.... Limes.

Almost no limes are grown in Israel, if any, and this kinds of fruites aren't imported as Israel is used to export them. When an Israeli needs a lime, he/she just takes a green premature lemon smiley - erm

Yours,
smiley - hsif
Dancer


Limes and Mangoes

Post 6

stragbasher

Well, I'll have to make sure to bring my own lime if I ever visit Israel in the company of a mango.

Can you buy the squirty plastic variety? If not then how do you drink tequila?

Also, how does Fraulein G's friend's iguana hold the knife to cut the mango? And where did it's primitive forebears get their knives? And what did they use them for before mangoes evolved to take advantage of them?

SB


Limes and Mangoes

Post 7

FG

Obviously I was referring to the method of eating and not of carving, silly.


Limes and Mangoes

Post 8

stragbasher

Wasn't obvious to me, but then my mind obviously works differently to most people's. That's why I've led such a wildly successful and interesting life.

So how does the iguana get into the mango in the first place? I'm fortunate in having people to look after me and they open my mango and hold it while I'm eating it. (On my birthday they've promised to let me out of the straitjacket for a few hours, although I still won't be allowed near anything sharp.)

And what's wrong with me being silly? John Cleese made a fortune out of it.

SB


Limes and Mangoes

Post 9

FG

In the way most iguanas get their mangoes. They wave their magic wands. Gosh, don't you know anything?

As for being silly, garden-variety silly just doesn't cut it. You need to have your Ph. D. in silly. Some people, however, will accept a Masters. But only from an accredited school. Sorry.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more