A Conversation for Science Fiction - Some Hard, Some Soft

Sci-fi/fantasy

Post 1

NPY

I'd heard people debating the boundaries between sci-fi and fantasy more than hard-core/soft sci-fi. Like which category Lord of the Rings or X-Files belongs in.


Sci-fi/fantasy

Post 2

4me-2me (Please don't 8me)

Lord of the Rings: Fantasy

X-Files? Never watch it.

Like a famous science-fiction author (Damon Knight I think) said about what is science-fiction:
"It is science-fiction when I say it is science-fiction".


Sci-fi/fantasy

Post 3

Todaymueller

I watched the x-files the other week on virgin and the dialogue and acting from david duchoveny was so clunky and wooden . That i got the impression that he was haming it up on purpose . I did enjoy it when it was on originally in the 90's.
Cant say i have read much sci-fi or fantasy , although one of the more memorable ones was the haliconia trilogy . Cannot remember the author though .

best fishes..tod


Sci-fi/fantasy

Post 4

Todaymueller

Brian Aldiss i just looked it up .

best fishes..tod


Sci-fi/fantasy

Post 5

NPY

Think I'm the same - haven't read as much as I've seen on tv/cinema/dvd. Somehow, watching it seem easier. But I could be wrong.

Have to say, if David Duchovney was deliberately mucking up his dialogue on X-Files, why didn't they loose him? Or if he didn't take it seriously, why didn't he leave earlier? It made him quite big and I'm sure he got lots of offers for other stuff.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more