A Conversation for Science Fiction - Some Hard, Some Soft

Frank Herbert and Dune

Post 1

Twist

I am interested in what catagory you think dune fits into, soft or hard?

Herbert put nearly his intire life into backing the books that he wrote, he has in esence written a complete history of Humanity from modern times into the distant future.


Frank Herbert and Dune

Post 2

Hoovooloo


I'd tend toward hard sf, since the first book at least had some pretty hard and fast rules that drove the details of plot and environment (e.g. the manner of space travel, the problem of laser weapons vs. shields leading to sword combat etc.)

SoRB


Frank Herbert and Dune

Post 3

docsharp

Obviously this idea of a history being written requires a bit of enterpretation. Unless you were talking about other books that I haven't seen. Dune includes a sort of Messiah figure in Paul, I loved the film I have two versions of it, never read the book though. Sounds good how you put this interpretation to it, I am interested to discuss.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more